Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work full time (salaried, no opportunity for overtime), go to school 1 night a week, and my DH works part time and goes to school full time. We are in need of some extra income, but I have been reluctant to look for a part time job, afraid that regular extra hours (and learning a new job) on top of my current job (which I enjoy, but it's mentally taxing) would cause me to lose it. I don't handle ongoing stress and lack of sleep as well as I would wish. Anyway, I think I have hit on a solution.

I started reading the craigslist "gigs" section to see if there were any one-off jobs that I could do, but I wasn't finding anything that I felt confident enough to apply for. Then it suddenly occurred to me that I already have a skillset that is marketable, but at the same time is not related to what I do 9-5 at all, so it might actually be a nice change of pace. Catering! Or, rather, being a part time/on call server at a local catering company. My first job, in highschool, was for a caterer and I worked there 3 years, and worked many hundreds of weddings, office parties, holiday parties, etc. That was *ahem* a few years ago, but I have done it on and off since (for friends) and I know I can still do it. Plus, I always enjoyed it.

So, I looked up all of the catering companies located in my area and I have 2 interviews next week and 2 more have responded to my email and said they will get back to me. Oh, it feels so good to take action. And this is the perfect time of year to get on this, too, with the holidays coming up.

As for my husband, he fixes/builds computers and has always done it for small amounts of money for friends of friends, but he is starting to put the word out more formally to get more work.

On another note, we also have been listing stuff on craigslist to sell, and have gotten some inquiries on some of the bigger ticket items. We may be able to pay our property taxes yet!

Kara

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
It is truly amazing how much money can be literally dug up when the need arises.............way to go.

I have had good luck with CL.......don't forget pictures!! And take GOOD ONES.........not some dark pics that don't show anything!! And......dimensions.........if it is furniture that might need them.

Hate when I have to email someone for a dimension!!

And when I do a search I check the box for pics so the stuff posted w/o them doesn't even come up!

·
2,688 Posts
I have had some good luck with craigslist selling things.
Nothing of really high value, but the small items do add up.
Like anything else, use caution if you think someone is trying to spam you.

We have all our bills current. Our challenge is our property tax coming up in December which cannot be fit into our current budget for what income we have. I currently have none. Hubby's job is low income and pays the regular monthly bills.

Good luck with the catering :) It's hard work. My last part time job was working for a food service company.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is truly amazing how much money can be literally dug up when the need arises.............way to go.

I have had good luck with CL.......don't forget pictures!! And take GOOD ONES.........not some dark pics that don't show anything!!...And when I do a search I check the box for pics so the stuff posted w/o them doesn't even come up!

Thank you so much for your craigslist tips. I really appreciate them. I have included pictures on each of my listings; I agree that they are essential. As for dimensions...I have done that some, but could probably add more. Thanks!

Kara

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have all our bills current. Our challenge is our property tax coming up in December which cannot be fit into our current budget for what income we have. I currently have none. Hubby's job is low income and pays the regular monthly bills.

Good luck with the catering :) It's hard work.
Yeah, property taxes (due 2 times a year) have always been somewhat of an issue (because I never figured out till now (!) that we had to save something for them every month), but completely doable when we had 2 full incomes. These days, the mere thought of them is scaring me, so off to (extra) work I go.

Yeah, I remember only too well that catering is hard work. But hey, I sit at a desk all day, so I could use something that's physically challenging. :)

Cheers,
Kara

·
2,688 Posts
What helped us, this year to pay our school taxes that were due in September on time, was to leave any OT of his from the winter, in the bank as a cushion / EF fund. OT is not counted in our regular monthly budget. I also set aside a chunk of my last UE money that ended in May of this year. My last job was part time, so the UE was not a lot. And we went without a lot of things to keep that extra money intact, that we set aside for those taxes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First meeting with caterer

So yesterday I went to my first "interview" with a local catering company to be hired as a part-time server.

At least I was expecting it to be an interview, but once I answered the catering manager's one question (why do you want to work in catering?) I was given employment paperwork to start filling out. So, I guess I'm hired? :shrug2: She sent me home with more paperwork and reading material about the company. I read it all last night and am pleased. When I bring back the completed paperwork (probably tomorrow or Friday), she said she will show me the online scheduling system. And then I guess the assignments will start rolling in!

OK, maybe not that fast. But I do have another appointment with another company tomorrow, plus I am on 4 "we have your information and will call you if we need a server" list with other companies. So, it's a start.

Also continuing to list and sell stuff on craigslist. That's been sort of up and down. Lots of really low ball offers of "cash!" Well duh, we are only taking cash, so that's not an incentive yet, when the item has only been listed a week or two.

Kara

·
19,119 Posts
Great digging in and finding something that works for you!! I loved serving at catered affairs in highschool and college. They are all lucky to have you!!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
great job - my 13 yo dds friends dad works PT for catering for extra income - he sayd its decent money and he likes the hours .

another thought for people ( i would guess mainly men ) is often funeral homes hire people to work on a as needed status at funerals and viewings on a PT basis - especially when its someone elderly who has passed who doesnt have alot of family - they need extras for pall bearers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, it's been awhile since I had anything positive to report. In fact, I was getting kind of discouraged. But, I now have 2 events scheduled (1 with each of the 2 catering companies who hired me) and I am so excited to be earning some extra money!

The first one is this Saturday, a baby shower. I need to hit some thrift stores this week to find a black necktie and white longsleeved dress shirt. I already have black dress pants and shoes. The second gig is a Christmas party on 12/18.

I am hoping some more jobs come in!

Kara

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i used to do alot of catering yrs ago...one piece of advice, very very comfy shoes!!! your piggies will thank you when the shift is over!

great job getting the gigs! hope you make enough for what you need.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the good advice (comfy shoes). Yes, I will definintely plan on wearing my most comfortable ones (or, rather, wearing the most comfortable black dress shoes that I already own).

I just hope I have the energy to keep up with everyone else. It's been a long time since I've done anything more physical at work than type (but yes, I do workout regularly). It will be interesting.

Kara

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I worked my first party on Saturday, 7.5 hours at $12/hour. It went well. The best part was that it was just the way I remembered it, from all those years ago when I last did this work. That was very reassuring. I still knew what needed to be done and I'm still good at it (very few things I can say that about!). Whew, what a relief!.

Oh and the really good news? $100 cash tip for each server. Trust me, that doesn't happen very often (very rarely do catering servers get much of a tip at all). That was so cool (understatement alert)! It feels so good to be earning extra money.

I was hoping for another gig this weekend but nothing has turned up. My next one is on 12/18.

Edited to add: since this thread was about alternative income sources in general, I should mention that we are still trying to sell stuff on Craigslist but haven't been that successful. Most of the inquiries come from spammers. And my husband will start looking for a different part time job in the new year. He was giving his business partner till the end of this year to get things more profitable, but nothing has happened.

Kara

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.