Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering for anyone out there with sons, did you have them circumcised, and why or why not.

Our son was not circumcised - even though every doctor that looked at him for the first two weeks asked if we were going to have it done (I didn't feel a lot of pressure, but I after the first couple days I just wanted to say that if we wanted to, it would have been done already). I didn't have much of an opinion one way or the other, but DH felt strongly that he should not be circumcised, so that was the decision we made (DH is, for the record - I told him he was going to have to explain that to DS when he gets old enough :uhh: )

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Our ds's aren't circumsised. None of the boys in DH's family are. I don't have an opinion either way. it just seemed more natural to let them be as they were made.

That being said when they get older (ahem, ask me how I know) make them understand that they need to be careful with scratches. Scratches on the inside of the foreskin rapidly get infected, simply by the nature of the location. And these scratches can get infected. Thus sending you to the ER. Where you get all kinds of nurses and doctors questioning you and your parenting. (again, ask me how I know)

I got off topic...

MIL was german, and it seems that alot of german boys simply aren't done. Maybe i am misinformed, but it's how she explained it. It was what she knew as a matter of course growing up that circumsision was more a USA or cosmetic issue and therefore not necessary.

Whatever the case may be, it was our decision to leave the boys as they were born. for other families, it might make sense to circumsise. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hae 3 boys and none of them are circumcized. DH and I did not think it was necessary.

It is funny because when our last child was born, a boy, the pediatrician asked if we wanted to circumcise him. We said No, definately not. He was so relieved. lol Our pediatrician says it is about 50/50 right now.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
We had both of our boys circumcised, both were done immediately after birth, and both were completely healed before we even left the hospital. We made the decision after careful research. We examined both sides of the issue, and at the end, all of the medical journals that we read showed, to our satisfaction, that it was a healthier way to go for the mere fact that it is easier to keep clean and there is less chance of infection. I've known people who have not had it done and down the road, their boys have gotten infections for one reason or another and actually had to have it done as pre-teens, which is not only more painful, but something that we know they remember.

To us, it just seemed cleaner, but I also know that there are tons of boys and men out there who have not had it done and they are just fine as well. I think it's just a personal choice with no right or wrong.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well, I only have girls, so far ;), but if we are ever blessed with a son we will have him circumcised. But other than that I don't have a lot to add to this discussion, as it hasn't really affected us yet.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had my DS circumsized for religious reasons. I had always planned on circumsizing so there was never a question as to if I was going to or not. Every man in my family(immediate,extended) get circumsized.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I had both my sons circumsized, just felt it was the right thing for them at the time.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Both of my boys are - and it was not easy......we adopted them Russia at 9 mos and at 10 mos and they were not curcumcised yet. However, when we got home, we had it done. It was put-them-to-sleep surgery at that age, but that is how strongly we felt about having it done. We're glad we did it!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We did not have Wesley circumsized. None of the males in my husband's family are. We did a lot of research and we discovered that there is no true medical reason to get it done. As long as he/we keep him clean, he should be safe from infection. We'll explain the cleaning process to him and all will be good. My husband has never had any problems.

We had 3 doctors ask if we wanted it done--two in NICU, and our family doctor. We said no each time and they all seemed so relieved.

·
Registered
626 Posts
All three of my boys are circumcised. I did not want it done. I think it is totally unnecessary and cruel. My hubby insisted, for strictly male reasons. When we had my oldest, I was against it but Tom insisted it was his decision. At the time I think most boys were circumcised and he thought my son would see the other boys in the school showers (or where ever) and want to know why he was different. And after we actually had the procedure done, I cried when I saw "it." It was so raw and painful looking. Then with the other two boys hubby insisted that they had to be done, so they wouldn't be different (it's a guy thing, that just doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me). The boys are three years apart and with #2 he had to search for a dr that would perform the procedure, we were told that it isn't standard anymore and many dr's are not doing it. On a slightly odd side note..in the 20 years that I have known my hubby this is the only thing that they have ever agreed on (mom thought the boys should be circumcised also, and she was the one who actually went with my hubby to have #2 circumcised)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The majority of anti-circumcision comments made whenever this subject is raised appear to be from women- most males who are not circumcised seem to wish they had been, and list bladder infections, the inability to draw back the foreskin is a large number of cases, disgust at the production of smegma under the foreskin, painfull erections due to tightness of the foreskin, and a vastly increased incidence of sexually transmitted disease amongst uncircumcised men, with AIDS getting naturally the most mention.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Ds was circumcised. Honestly, it was never up for discussion. Every male in both families have had it done and we had no religious or other reasons not to. DH was certain he wanted DS to have it done so we did.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Here in the UK and around Europe baby boys are not circumcised - so I don't buy the "it's cleaner" argument because if that were true there would be a higher incidence of infections and pressure on parents to have their baby boys circumcised. As it stands, you'd struggle to find a doctor that would agree to do it. My son isn't done. My husband was circumcised at age 30 for a true medical reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my son done 30 years ago, and if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't . I think it's an old custom that gets passed down from one generation to another and there isn't any need for it. Science has proved there are no health benifits to having it done.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Nope, DS is not circed, DH is. It was one of those "over-my-dead-body" things. DH didn't want it either so it was a very easy desicion. I will not sexually mutilate my son, it's up to him if he wants to get it done when he is older. :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Ds was circumcised. Honestly, it was never up for discussion. Every male in both families have had it done and we had no religious or other reasons not to. DH was certain he wanted DS to have it done so we did.
:yeah: Same here. It wasn't something we ever considered not doing.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
On a sidenote---dh hates the thought of being circumsized. He has never had an issue with it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts