Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Wow. That is great that he was still able to pass the test. I hope I am still getting around like that if I make it to 101. I guess all drivers license are good for 5 years, so I guess they don't discrimanate because of age. I remember though that my Grandmother's reflex action got too slow for her to be behind the wheel of a car. It wasn't safe for her, or anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It disturbs me that he thought it was ok to not use his blinker except for the fact that he was losing points - I think it is important to drive carefully ALL the time because you never know who else is on the road and how good they are/aren't.

Some states are passing laws that beyond a certain age, drivers must have annual vision tests and/or renew their licenses more frequently. I think this makes sense, but also think it is discriminatory - and I'm not firm as to whether I think a little discrimination that results in increased safety is a good trade or not.

I am impressed by this individual's capability. And I hope that I can stay in good condition too. I am currently watching a close co-worker deteriorate rapidly, and it is hard on everyone - evn though he is taking it with as much grace as I think possible.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Right now, the subject of seniors driving, and potential regulations, is a hot topic of discussion in my city -- recently <a href="http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=19618&sc=89">a girl was killed in a crosswalk by an elderly driver</a>.

This is the second killing in a crosswalk our twin cities have suffered in the past 18 months. Eerily enough, the one that happened last year was a classmate of the girl who recently died. She was at a crosswalk with four lanes crossing it. The first car stopped and let her out. The second car didn't see her and kept going and struck her. Even more eerie, not six months later the mother of the first victim was out walking her dog and came to this same crosswalk. She was going to step out, as she was legally allowed to, but something told her to wait. A split second later, a vehicle came along too fast to stop and plowed into the two cars that had stopped to let her cross. It hit with such velocity that the two cars were pushed violently into the crosswalk, where she would've been standing had she walked out.

Just after this past weekend, two other pedestrians were hit by vehicles. When it rains, it pours. *shakes head*

I think drivers are far less cautious than they should be. I have even caught myself doing stupid things behind the wheel. Anytime I have to jam on the breaks and :smooch: is in the car, the first thing I do is appologize. I feel so stupid, but feeling stupid is the last thing that's going to be on your mind if you cause someone harm (in any way) with your vehicle.

I am torn on the topic of senior regulations with regards to driver's licenses. I agree that there are far too many seniors out there with poor vision, relfexes and motor skills and they are a hazard on the road. A good example: A senior client recently came into our office to get her insurance after just getting her license back. The agent discussed her premium and she was upset that it was so high and demanded to know why.

"Well, for one thing, it's these accidents you've had in the past few years," the agent said.

"I didn't have any accidents!" The senior replied.

"Well, I have a police report of a six-car pile-up that you caused that says you did," the agent replied.

"Oh yeah," replied the senior. "I forgot about that one."

Seriously, does this person really deserve to have a license?!!! No!!! So why was a license reissued to this person?!

Now, at the same time, I do feel bad for the seniors who have their licenses taken away from them. The quality of life of our seniors these days has drastically grown worse and worse. So many are in complexes and homes now, and that is unfair. Gone are the days when grandmother and grandfather moved in with the family and were helpful and productive members of the family. Now seniors are looked upon as a chore and a burden, when they so should not be. And driving, for many seniors, is one of the few freedoms they are still able to enjoy. Many can't walk very far or very well without the aid of another person or a machine. Many don't have the money to travel, live above the poverty line, even buy nutritious foods, etc. Driving is one of the few things they can still do and enjoy. I agree that if you are a danger on the road, you should be taken off the road, no matter what your age. But I feel so bad for the seniors who lose this one remaining freedom that they so desperately cling to.

Ok, sorry, the topic kind of hit a nerve due to the recent happenings in my city. I'll get off my soapbox now!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I am impressed that he was able to pass it at that age. He must be a very "young" 101.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts