Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marinades are a great way to turn an inexpensive cut of meat into something special! Now don't be thinking you need to run out to the grocery store to get some fancy-schmancy overpriced bottle or package of pre-made marinade, because it's just way too easy to put one together from ingredients you normally have on hand at home. And we all know that homemade costs less and tastes so much better!

Are you ready to create some memorable meals here? I am too! So tell us...what's in YOUR favorite marinade???

Here's one I like to get things started...

1 TBSP olive oil (EVOO rocks!)
1 TBSP worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 clove minced garlic
pepper to taste

Mix it up and marinate meat overnight -- WOW! It's so good! And so easy, and every single ingredient is a staple that I always have on hand....gotta love it!

·
19,119 Posts
Steamy kitchens and LB's recipe - should keep DH busy for awhile!! Mahalo!!

Reactions: Luckybustert

·
27,948 Posts
Here are a few fav's of mine:

Honey Dijon Marinade: great on chicken & pork
1/3 c. orange juice & veggie oil
2T Dijon mustard & honey
1 pkg (dry) ranch dressing mix
Mix all together and marinade meat.

Tangy Tasty Kabobs

2lbs boneless beef or chicken, cut into 1 1/2 "cubes.
Assorted cut -up veggies( peppers,cherry tomatoes zucchini,onion etc.)

Marinade
1c miracle whip
1pkg. (dry) Italian dressing mix
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2Tbs. vinegar & water

Mix together reserve and refrigerate 1/2 c. for dipping.
~~~
Arrange meat and veggies on skewers
(I like to seperate the veggies and the meat as I have better control over the cooking times of each.)
Brush kabobs well with marinade & marinate 1/2 hour in fridge. Place kabobs on grill over med-high coals, brush with any extra marinade. Grill 10 to 15 min or until desired doneness, turning once.
Use reserved 1/2 c. for dipping.

Here's a link with more info:

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/kitchen-basics/22725-looking-marinades.html
<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have so many marinade recipes it isn't funny :D

I marinade practically every piece of meat we eat especially beef.

I LOVE marinades!

If you have no time to whip one up Italian salad dressing works great :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I usually use Kraft's Zesty Italian, Balsamic Vinegarette, Greek Feta or Sundried Tomato & Herb dressings in a pinch. I do love flavourful meat but I'm also the one who asks for her meat to be served/cooked plain with the sauces on the side...go figure :)

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Besides soaking the meat in marinade before cooking, marinades can also be used to make meats very flavorful touch just by adding it right into the pot. I added the marinade I posted above to a pot roast in the crock pot and it came out oh so delish!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I gotta admit I just use Lawry's. It was on sale for $1.29-1.00/2 coupon. I got 13. Sesame ginger is my fav. for chicken.Teryaki the kids,and chop steakhouse is DH's. .79 makes me lazy. I just throw it in a gallon bag overnight w/ marinade and grill or cook in the oven in a covered dish.

·
Registered
938 Posts
My all time favorite is one I found in Vegetarian Times magazine for tofu: equal parts Soy Sauce, Worchestershire & Oil. Marinate overnight, then cook as planned. Works amazing on chicken as well.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Our favorite marinade is a commercial one named "Dales Steal Seasoning".
I usually catch it on sale, anywhere from $1.70 to $1.99 per bottle, and buy several to last until the next sale.
We use it on almost every kind of meat...pork chops, ribs, steaks-beef and deer, chicken, etc...
It's offered in original and low sodium blend. We prefer the low sodium one, it's not quite as salty, but the meat has to marinate a tiny bit longer. Extra tasty...Yummmm :usa:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Our favorite marinade is a commercial one named "Dales Steal Seasoning".
I usually catch it on sale, anywhere from $1.70 to $1.99 per bottle, and buy several to last until the next sale.
We use it on almost every kind of meat...pork chops, ribs, steaks-beef and deer, chicken, etc...
It's offered in original and low sodium blend. We prefer the low sodium one, it's not quite as salty, but the meat has to marinate a tiny bit longer. Extra tasty...Yummmm :usa:

Oh good grief...That's supposed to be STEAK...argh:bang:
((still haven't figured out how to edit my posts, or even if I can...))

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Old Man loves Dales... but we haven't had any since our last visit to Memphis - YEARS ago.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Old Man loves Dales... but we haven't had any since our last visit to Memphis - YEARS ago.
If you're interested, they may take orders and ship, or even
have a web site. I've never tried to find out since it's at every store around here.
We love the stuff. :chef:

·
27,948 Posts

I'll have to try some of this.:)
To edit.... Right after you make your post, click edit at the bottom of the post, fix mistake and click save.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Thank you... thank you... thank you!

I am going to make an exception to my 'homemade only Yule' and get him some! ... Now to buy it and hide it until December :lol:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spent 20+ years looking for Old Dutch Sweet & Sour salad dressing and finally found it last year at ~of all places~ Wal-mart! When it's good stuff, I don't give up very easily :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts