Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Frugal Villagers -

I have been approached a couple of times in the past two months from women who are Mary Kay consultants. This morning I met with one of them (a persistent one) to talk about the "opportunities". The one opportunity that actually seems appealing is joining for the discount as I don't think I really want to sell the products at first.

Has anybody done this before? Does anybody have an advice? What have you heard about being a Mary Kay consultant?

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Yes, I have the pink Cadillac. just kidding. :D

If you decide to sell, don't you have to purchase a bunch of products to even start? I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hey Frugal Villagers -

I have been approached a couple of times in the past two months from women who are Mary Kay consultants. This morning I met with one of them (a persistent one) to talk about the "opportunities". The one opportunity that actually seems appealing is joining for the discount as I don't think I really want to sell the products at first.

Has anybody done this before? Does anybody have an advice? What have you heard about being a Mary Kay consultant?

Thanks guys!
I have...:wave2: several years ago...wasn't a good or positive experience, :( therefore I do -not- recommend it. They have fantastic products, but I will never sell them again. Ever.
Sorry, but that's just my opinion due to past experience with that company. :animated:
Lost a chunk of money...:(

Reactions: LuLuBleen

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have the pink Cadillac. just kidding. :D

If you decide to sell, don't you have to purchase a bunch of products to even start? I'm pretty sure.
The woman I met with today said I have to purchase a starter kit type product. The thing is, the starter kit is $75 (a special for this month) and it includes the face wash bundle I already use and buy from my consultant (which she charges me $100-retail price for). Anyway, then she said I could join but just not be a consultant and it is $200/year to stay active. So, I was thinking I could buy the $75 kit and just spend $200/year....the thing is...I just don't know if there are any hidden rules I am not taking into consideration.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I think if you aren't going to go into it, full-force, it's not worth it. My sister-in-law has sold MaryKay for 20 years, and made her way up to becoming a director. However, even she has tired of it and now has so much extra product leftover. That's a lot of money wasted out of her pocket.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Dd did this a few years ago and STILL has tons of that crap she got stuck with. How much can you really use to need the *discount*.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After thinking about it and doing some more research on the "pros and cons" online, I don't think I am going to sign up. I tried a similar program a few years ago and definitely lost some money then. I also did a quick ebay search and there are plenty of people on ebay selling MK products at cost with out the 50% mark-up....and honestly, I hate selling products like that....so with that being said...I am no longer looking into this!

Thanks, everybody, for your input!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I am glad I saw this thread. My hairstylist started selling it and now she is trying to get me to sell it. I really don't like MK products cause it has the parabens and other junk in it. I have an appt with her Tues and I must figure out a way to tell her that I don't want to sell it without messing up the great relationship I have with her doing my hair.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I am glad I saw this thread. My hairstylist started selling it and now she is trying to get me to sell it. I really don't like MK products cause it has the parabens and other junk in it. I have an appt with her Tues and I must figure out a way to tell her that I don't want to sell it without messing up the great relationship I have with her doing my hair.
Be upfront and honest, but very tactful and kind about it.
When she goes into the sales pitch, let her know, gently, it's not something you're interested in doing at this time or point in your life, but you want to maintain the relationship with her without hard feelings over the matter...That's how I've been handling this matter when a rep. starts trying to recruit me, with very good success.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sinopa - I found this blog post about the "Pros and Cons" of being a Mary Kay consultant (which finalized my decision not to pursue the opportunity). If you want more info before telling your stylist no, I would recommend reading the comment posted by "RedSoxFan". She does a good job explaining her experience (she no longer is a MK consultant) and how the MK business works (ie. how much you are expected to sell, etc)

The Truth About Mary Kay: Pros and Cons

·
Registered
99 Posts
When she goes into the sales pitch, let her know, gently, it's not something you're interested in doing at this time or point in your life...
Good advice. I've heard that MK reps make more money by signing up new reps than by selling lots of MK (?). If true, that would explain the strong-arm tactics many of them use. :ponder:

OT: Paws, your avatar is so stunningly gorgeous. Just gets me every time I see it. :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
well....i got back to this thread too late. I got swindled into signing up for it. I told her I had no time to dedicate to it. I do know that there are many at the hospital I work at that wants MK. The last rep moved to Alabama. A male nurse is selling it for his wife. Thats how much they want it. He doesn't want to be bothered with it. So maybe I can leave the book out and they can order.
It was a special lower price this month. So I am not out that much......I just hope my hairstylist shuts up now! Or...did I just make it worse!!????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, since it's too late to talk you out of it, I hope you make tons of money. :)

On a positive note, I've known many women who swear by their Mary Kay products and wouldn't even consider using anything else. If you get yourself a good customer base of die-hards, you could do really well.

And, hey, it's gotta be better than working at the department store cosmetic counter during the holidays. I did that way back in college and I still remember what a nightmare it was. :yikes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts