Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need somewhere around 10 lbs. of mashed potatoes for Easter dinner. I have mashed them before hand and kept them warm in the oven at times. But this year I am having so many people my oven is not going to be large enough to keep everything warm. So my question is this, has anyone used a crock pot to keep their mashed potatoes hot? How did it work out.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
No but I've used a cooler. We cleaned out a drink cooler and used it. They will keep warm things warm just as well as hot things hot. Have also used it for keeping spagetti hot for spagetti dinners. Learned this trick from my Amish friends. Keep the lid closed to kep the heat in.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
22 Posts
The cooler is a good idea, I've done that before. Although I'm sure a crockpot on low would work as well, you just might have to add a little more milk and butter so they stay moist wih that extra heat.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've used a crock pot on low, it worked great. Set the food up buffet style and people helped themselves right from the crockpot. This also works for mashed turnips.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Grace. We will be serving buffet style and this will work out perfectly. I also didn't know about the cooler and I often bring hot foods to potlucks. So thank you for that tip everyone it is going to come in handy for the holidays.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Line your cooler with Aluminum foil shinny side toward you food. This will help keep them very warm until you need them.
We do this when I cater BBQ's if they want mashed.
It also keeps the chicken hot and moist.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have used my crockpot to keep my mashed potatoes warm for holiday dinners also and it worked great. I just prepared them as I normally do and then kept them in the crockpot on warm.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
These are great ideas. I usually reheat my mashed potatoes in the microwave (if made in advance) just before serving.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This is the recipe I used today. They just melt in your mouth. Yummy!!

10 lb Yukon gold potatoes
2 T. minced garlic
6 chicken bouillon cubes

Peel and cube potatoes, add to stockpot with garlic and bouillon cubes. Add water to cover. Cook potatoes until tender - about 15 minutes after they come to a rapid boil. Drain potatoes, reserving liquid. In large bowl, mash potatoes with:

2-8 oz pks of cream cheese
1-16 oz container of sour cream
(I used a hand mixer.) Use reserved liquid if needed to get potatoes to the desired consistency. Transfer to the crockpot and heat on low for up to 3 hours. (For easy clean-up, use the crockpot liners.) Add butter and season with salt & pepper just before serving. (I used fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper.)

I have a large, oval crockpot, and this filled it. Feeds 16-20 people.

I will experiment with a half batch using fat free sour cream and low fat cream cheese when I make them for my family.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Well what solution did you use and how did it work out? What would you do different?

Laurie in Bradenton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts