Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dh and I along with my BFF and my brother are planning a fall vacation to Mass (ummm i have no idea how to spell the whole thing :p) We'll be staying two nights at the Lizzie Borden B&B. We will be visiting Plymouth. We're considering spending nights in Boston and Salem as well. It will be mid October, so I'm I hope there is some great Halloweeny stuff going on in Salem.

I have been doing plenty of google searching, just want some personal recomendations. If anyone has been there, what's the best things to hit? What would be the best places to eat? I usually only like to go places where we know someone so we're in the know about local stuff, but we don't know anyone up there.

I'm very excited, this is the first vacation we've been able to take since '03. We're the creepy loving sort, BFF and I met over a Lizzie Borden discussion when we were 15, this is part of her birthday present. And everyone is all a twitter over Salem.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Oh... Mass!!! (psst.... Massachusetts)

Please remember to take all your valuables with you when you leave the B&B for the morning... they have tours of the bedrooms from 11a-4p and I wouldn't want you to lose something to a sticky finger.

There are a few places to visit in Fall River... but, nothing too exciting.

In Plymouth, there is of course, Plimouth Plantation. A few museums, and of course the seafood is great because it's caught right there at the pier. There are visitor centers all over the place, and you can of course ask anyone where to go (just don't ask the Plantation people because they will tell you there is nothing around but some Indian camps :lol: )

Boston is chuck full of things to do, all depends on what you want to do. There are self-directed tours, duck tours (amphibian boat), haunted tours, an aquarium, etc... I suggest you hit Fanuel Hall... the hall itself isn't that fantastic, but Quincy Market/Haymarket is full of little shops and good food. If you do go to Fanuel Hall and you liked the tv show Cheers, pop in and grab a drink.

Salem is going to be packed in October. On top of of the usual tourist attractions, they have Haunted Happenings the whole month. There are some places that aren't even worth the admission price unless you like poorly done wax figures spotlighted during a rather dull taped narration. One of those places on my 'to avoid list' is the Witch Museum.

They have a candle-lit ghost walk that is pretty good. Depends on who is giving the tour that day.

If you know where you want to go in Salem, I will be more than happy to tell you if it's a 'must see' or not.

I LOVE SALEM... I hate the cheesy things they toss out there for large mounds of cash :lol:

I am Pagan, and sometimes I see things in Salem that just makes me want to shake my head... like the tourist traps... tell me what you want, I will tell you to REALLY get it :lol:

There ARE some really nice shops, restaurants, museums. A lot of the shops are over-priced because it is tourist season

The food in Boston/Salem can be either really good, or warmed Alpo... depends on where you go. What kind of food do you like? I can recommend a few places once I know what kind you like.

Welcome to Massachusetts... pack for fall, be prepared for snow :lol: depends on when you are coming in October...

--- psst... we pronounce the state Mass-Ah-Chew-Sets, the soup with clams and potatoes is pronounced Clam Chow-DAH (and no, none of those nasty tomatoes), Coke/Pepsi is tonic, there is no parking in the 'North End', and don't wear any Yankees apparel :lol:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! Ooo I'm gettin' all excited, I hope summer goes by fast.

We'll probably be scarfing down as much seafood as we can. I figured there have to be great places up there.

My brother wants to go to some local bars. He wants to avoid the Cheers bar, we've heard it's crowded and touristy and not really what was on the show. Kind of like hole in the wall authentic places. He's so charismatic, and I'm so shy. I'm hoping he helps us meet some new friends, heh.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
My sister moved their last year and I visited her in the fall. It was fun, it seemed like we walked everywhere. We went to Quincy Market and Harvard Square. We ate at a few places, I will have to ask her to remind me what they were called. I just really loved walking around and admiring the older homes and buildings. The leaves had just started changing color and falling from the trees and it was warm when we walked around :).

·
Registered
539 Posts
In Plymouth if you eat at the harbor, there is a restaurant called the East Bay Grill that is fantastic. We eat there whenever we're in town. It's casual/elegant I'd say. Seafood is great. At the end of Plymouth Harbor is a very nice little park where there is a Herring run. If you walk to the end of the park (which goes along this tiny river and runs under bridges) you will come to a restaurant called the Grist Mill. They have great icecream if you're looking for a pretty place (water wheel/grist mill) to have a snack and sit on a bench. I don't know how that restaurant is. If you are driving and you want to get out of the Plymouth Harbor area, if you get on route 3 and get off at exit five, there is a great Japanese steakhouse where they cook table side called New Tokyo...highly recommend it.
OK, as for Salem, haven't been there in years, but it is an adorable little town with lots to do. There's a section of Salem called Salem Willows which is on the water and they have lots of arcades and sort of junky/carnival food. They also have a large picnic area near the water where you can do alot of relaxing, walking, lounging. I think that they run boat rides out of there, but not sure how that all works in Oct.
If you are in Boston, the Duck Boats are a great take. It is a nice tour with great guides who are very knowlegable. If you have kids, the Children's Museum is newly refurbished and a great hands-on fun place. If you're into art, The Museum of Fine Arts on Huntington Ave is good. The North End is Boston's Italian section. Tough to park in the North End. Old Ironsides is the oldest commisioned battleship (I think)and it's docked just over a bridge from the North End. The Museum of Science is in Cambridge (right over the river from Boston) and the Duck Boats depart from there. If you go to the MOS, you can buy a pass for the museum and the Duck Boats at a slight discount. The museum is home to the Mugar Omni Theatre which has great panoramic shows. You have to buy the ticket for the show separate, but again, if you buy multiple tix, there's a discount. Depending on how much money you want to spend while in Boston for meals, there's a great restaurant (Steak House) called Abe and Louie's right across the street from the Prudential Center. The Pru is the second tallest building in Boston and it has a large concourse with tons of shops and restaurants. You can go to the top floor for a nice view. There's a restaurant at the top called the Top of the Hub which is also pricey but great. Not sure if the Swan Boats are still running in Oct, but if they are, they're great. For one dollar you get a lovely, peaceful ride on a Swan Boat in the Public Garden (accessible by the T.) If you have any specific questions, PM me, as you can tell, I'm a local!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you are driving and you are interested in nice, fancy homes, you can drive to Cohasset and there's a street called Jeruselum Road on the Ocean with some gorgeous homes to gawk at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts