Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i end up in a restaurant when i crave mexican food or chinese food.

i am committed to staying out of restaurants right now.

i mastered the pork carnitas tacos, how do you make fried rice? i mean, real fried rice that tastes good? i am not allergic to MSG.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

I just use this stuff. It's been 50 and 75 cents locally and it's the closest I can get to "restaurant quality". You still add eggs, veggies, soy sauce, and obviously rice. It's pretty good.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I prefer to make my fried rice with leftover cold rice. At least a cup of cooked rice, 1 egg, salt/pepper and soy sauce to taste. Then experiment with cooked chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, whatever you like as a meat to add to it if you like. Personally I cook my meat separate first.

Here's what I do:

Beat 1 egg, add salt/pepper/soy sauce to egg (sayyy, 4 T soy sauce)
heat skillet until hot, (medium heat) lightly buttered or light oil if it isn't non-stick
Throw cooked rice into skillet and spread it out so it can warm and start to cook.
Pour egg mixture over rice, let it soak on top a bit.
Without smashing to bits, with a spatula fold the rice and egg mixture around each other. You don't want compacted smashed mess, it will taste mushy.
When all egg looks cooked through, 10 minutes max if you have the stove on Medium Heat, it should be done.

Add more soy sauce to your own taste.

Reactions: ladykemma2

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I just use this stuff. It's been 50 and 75 cents locally and it's the closest I can get to "restaurant quality". You still add eggs, veggies, soy sauce, and obviously rice. It's pretty good.
hey, i bought a pack of that! thanks.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I prefer to make my fried rice with leftover cold rice. At least a cup of cooked rice, 1 egg, salt/pepper and soy sauce to taste. Then experiment with cooked chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, whatever you like as a meat to add to it if you like. Personally I cook my meat separate first.

Here's what I do:

Beat 1 egg, add salt/pepper/soy sauce to egg (sayyy, 4 T soy sauce)
heat skillet until hot, (medium heat) lightly buttered or light oil if it isn't non-stick
Throw cooked rice into skillet and spread it out so it can warm and start to cook.
Pour egg mixture over rice, let it soak on top a bit.
Without smashing to bits, with a spatula fold the rice and egg mixture around each other. You don't want compacted smashed mess, it will taste mushy.
When all egg looks cooked through, 10 minutes max if you have the stove on Medium Heat, it should be done.

Add more soy sauce to your own taste.
This is how I do it too.
Use cooked meats and cooked veggies. ( normally I used the frozen mixed veggies thawed sometimes the ones with snap peas or snow peas)

I also fry then the ingredients up a bit before I put in the egg. I make a spot in the middle to put the scrambled egg then immediately start folding in the rice. I wan the egg to coat the rice/meat/veggies not look like bits of scrambled eggs in the rice.

PS I found a beef and broccoli recipe that tastes like the ones our local restaurant makes and it is a crock pot recipe. What I want to learn to make is hot and sour soup. Have never got the hang of that one.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm a good cook, and can discern recipes, but how much oil? a little? a lot? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup? 2 teaspoons?

·
19,119 Posts
Fried rice is one of those things that you cook to taste.

We use day old rice that has been refrigerated. Add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of a fry pan - or use spray oil or wipe the pan down with oil on a paper towel Add the rice (MH heat) - stir and toss after the steam starts rising - you want to have the rice dried out so it's not mushy.

What you add depends on what you like and what you have on hand - I usually save the LO small bits of veggies and protein during the week and then make fried rice on the weekend. Chopp whatever you are going to add as fine as you want it and add to rice.

You can add a scrambled egg if you want to....not necessary. At the end, when everything has been heated threw, I add a tablespoon of sesame oil, stir through and then serve.

Let us know how it goes!!

Reactions: waterbaby77

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
i'm a good cook, and can discern recipes, but how much oil? a little? a lot? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup? 2 teaspoons?
I say 2 to 4 table spoons it is basically to heat up the skillet and to keep the rice from sticking. I generally just pour a small puddle in the bottom of the skillet and swirl it around.

Here is a recipe if you wish There were several other on the net . I googled recipe fried rice.

Chinese Chicken Fried Rice I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
My fried rice is very basic--I cook the rice in the microwave while I sautee onions, mushrooms (whatever veg I am in the mood for). I mix it all together and douse it with soy sauce and saute it for a bit.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Bumping for the Queen of Fried Rice, Pollypurebred...hehe

My Uncle use to own a Chinese restaurant and Polly's instructions are like his. Lady if she doesn't see this pm her, her technique is spot on, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Polly thank you! I made yours and it tasted just like my Uncles. My family loved it.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Aww, I'm so glad you liked it! You know I spent a lot of years trying to make good fried rice till I had those little secrets shared with me. Amazing how you can take the exact same ingredients and come up with a pan full of yuck. So glad to share the wealth!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

just made it, although i followed a you-tube video for technique. it's good. i can taste the ginger, but it's definitely missing sesame oil

·
Registered
174 Posts
I love thai fried rice. I like to fry up some cubed ham steak, then a minced clove of garlic, onion, and some grated ginger, then throw in day old rice, toss to coat in oil, then heat through, Add a small amount of fish sauce to taste, and an egg if desired. It can be garnished towards the end with basil or cilantro. yummy!

·
27,948 Posts
This is how I do it too.
Use cooked meats and cooked veggies. ( normally I used the frozen mixed veggies thawed sometimes the ones with snap peas or snow peas)

I also fry then the ingredients up a bit before I put in the egg. I make a spot in the middle to put the scrambled egg then immediately start folding in the rice. I wan the egg to coat the rice/meat/veggies not look like bits of scrambled eggs in the rice.

PS I found a beef and broccoli recipe that tastes like the ones our local restaurant makes and it is a crock pot recipe. What I want to learn to make is hot and sour soup. Have never got the hang of that one.

Can you share your beef & broccoli recipe please? Thanks!

Reactions: Samigirl
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.