Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does employers do matching for Roth IRA? I would like to have more control and buy stocks myself instead of buying a mutual fund. Does employer allow matching contribution and send it to my brokerage account like Fidelity?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
It depends on your employer. Some offer matching, some don't. And even employers that do usually have a limit to how much they match. For example, at my work they match up to 5% of your income.

Also, I get my matching contributions for the retirement fund set up through my employer, not one I choose outside work. Within the retirement set up by my employer, I have different funds I can choose from. But I don't have the option of picking funds ran by other investment firms. I have not researched what retirement funds are like with other places. I suspect this part is the same, but I don't know

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
It depends on your employer. Some offer matching, some don't. And even employers that do usually have a limit to how much they match. For example, at my work they match up to 5% of your income.

Also, I get my matching contributions for the retirement fund set up through my employer, not one I choose outside work. Within the retirement set up by my employer, I have different funds I can choose from. But I don't have the option of picking funds ran by other investment firms. I have not researched what retirement funds are like with other places. I suspect this part is the same, but I don't know
What will happen to these pension investments in the event of a job change? You cannot be sure that in a few years you will not be offered better working conditions.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You always keep 100% of the money you put in. You can generally keep the matching as well, provided you are vested.

Most companies require that you work for them for a year or two before you are allowed to keep the employer contributions. The exact amount varies by company. Once you have passed the required time you are considered to be vested.

I have been working at my place over 20 years, so I have been vested for awhile. If you are interested for yourself your company should have information on how long it takes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts