Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, the family that is filling our place while we are in the states arrives. Since, they will be using our kitchen stuff when we leave I will have to do the cooking for both families for the next 2 1/2 weeks (they might be able to do some easy breakfasts and lunches on their own, but no cooking). Then on the 6th of May we have 6 more adults arriving (some for training, some will be staying to work here with the church) and I will at least need to do suppers for them for that week as well.

So, for one week I have a total of 4 adults and 3 preschool age children to feed (including my family) and then the next week I have 10 adults and 3 children to feed. And I need to do it cheap and easy.

Any suggestions????

I thought homemade pizzas one night, maybe chili and cornbread (even though the weather's been pretty springy) but that's where my ideas end.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My father-in-law feeds 10 people on a nightly basis. :)

Some of the meals he makes are Spaghetti (sometimes he bakes those breaded chicken patties and we have those with it).

Fish sticks and Velveeta shells and cheese.

Chicken legs (the packages of 10-12 are usually only a few $$ here) and he either uses the mashed potato flakes or he'll throw in a bunch of baked potatos... and usually he'll steam some of the frozen bagged veggies.

Or, my favorite, A turkey. There's alot of meat and it can feed all of us-- then either the next night or a few nighs later we have turkey bone soup.

I think, all in all, he spends $150/wk on food for the family. That includes breakfasts and lunches.

If you need any other ideas let me know and I can ask him. :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
How about pulled pork sandwiches? I fed that to 25 people last Christmas. Take a pork roast (one or more) and cook it overnight in a crockpot with ginger ale & chopped onions. In the morning, drain and shred the pork, then return to the crockpot with a bottle (or two) of your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook on low all day. (Here's the actual recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/131018 )

Potato Soup? It's cheap and can be doubled to feed a crowd. Here's my recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/83666 I'd serve it with cornbread.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Some things we make for large crowds is

Corn Chowder
Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
spaghetti and meatsauce
sloppy joes
chili
casseroles
beef stew
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and chicken noodle soup
pulled pork sandwiches
tuna and noodles
egg breakfast casserole......we make this alot for an evening meal
hotdogs and pork and beans
chicken and dumplings

You can make cookies, muffins and dinner rolls ahead and keep in freezer.

I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great ideas ladies! Keep 'em coming!!

We do have some limitations on food availability here and prices are weird on some things, so things that are cheap in the U.S. like chicken legs are expensive here. We can't get tuna (unless we pay $4 a can!!!) We also can't get turkey or pork shoulder. The limitations are a real pain, but keep the ideas coming!!

We CAN do ground beef, cuts of beef, and chicken breasts (if I stretch them, since they're kind of expensive too). A bit of ham, but it's kind of expensive too, so it has to be stretched. Beans are good.

Forgot all about spaghetti (probably because I just made it on Monday.duh!)
Potato soup is a good idea, I can get potatoes for really cheap

Anyway, you are giving me some good ideas, so if you have anymore please add them. I'll probably have to do some lunches too while the big group is here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tacos , Just beans ground beef and veggies , Tortilla

also a light tortilla soup

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Cheeseburger Macaroni (just mac and cheese with ground beef)
Tuna Casserole (same as above- just tuna instead of beef and add cream of mushroom soup)
Veggie Soup
Beans and Wieners
Beans and Rice
Chicken and Rice
Chicken and dumplings
Beefy Mac (pasta shells, marinara sauce and ground beef)
Shepherds pie (gr. beef/turkey, mixed veggies, gravy, topped with mashed potatoes)
Breakfast for Dinner (pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage)

·
Registered
579 Posts
corn chowder

1/2 pound bacon or ham diced fine
1 pound onions diced fine
5 pounds of potatoes peeled and cubed
4 quarts of water
2 gallons of milk
8 cans (16 ounces each)
2 teaspoons of pepper
3/4 cup of butter

fry bacon or ham, remove and reserve, saute onions in fat add oil or butter as needed. Add potatoes and cover with water. Boil until potatoes are tender. pour off water. Add the rest of the ingredients but wait to add butter at serving time. Donot boil again just heat through.

This serves 50 people but can easily be halved.

·
Registered
579 Posts
that 8 cans is creamed corn. Sry I must be half asleep this morning.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Chicken with rice and cream of mushroom soup. That's what was at the church last night, and I got to take home the leftovers!

Pretty much any casserole tends to double well.

Meatloaf can be inexpensive, and can be made up in muffin pans if you wanted to freeze a bunch for another meal or two.

I always like good soups. Am making one with italian sausage, potatoes, and kale this weekend.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Chicken tetrazzini is a great dish that can be made to stretch a whole chicken for a lot of people. Boiled and boned chicken, cooked spaghetti, diced green peppers and onions, velveeta (or any cheese would work) and cream of mushroom soup...you could make some sort of gravy with the chicken stock instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts