Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :D
Just wanted to ask if there is a certain price per pound of meat that you will not go over? And are there any certain cuts of meat that you reg. buy that are cheaper?
I am having a really hard time with the meat issue.
I can not find groundbeef for less than $1.29 a pound. This seems expensive to me. And the boneless skinless chicken I get frozen for $5 for a 3lb. bag. This too seems too expensive. (I must say removing the skin and deboning chicken GROSSES me out!) I buy a roast maybe once a month- depending on price and $ I have to spend. Porkchops are usually $1.89lb. Also expensive!
I really want to cut the grocery bill but am not getting anywhere with the $ of meat.
I can eat meatless meals but dh and boys would not be happy.
Just one more question-
Do all of you buy lunchmeat and deli cheese? Once again I can go without but Dh and boys would pitch a fit!
Any suggestions? TIA

·
27,948 Posts
Those prices are even less than what we pay around here.
What I do to keep the bill down is find out when the store marks down meat and then buy & freeze it.

As far as lunch meat goes make your own. Turkey at 58¢lb cook & have for a couple of dinners and the rest for sandwiches. So much more healthier for you than all that processed stuff & better than paying $5-7 a lb. Same with ham, roast beef,corned beef etc. A meat slicer might be a good investment ~ watch for sales and check yard sales for one. hth.:)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
your prices are cheaper than what i usually can get here even shopping at sam's. for the most part, sam's is cheaper than the grocery store for me especailly on lunchmeat. even with shopping sales and looking for LL

·
Registered
260 Posts
I pay $.29 a lb for chicken,$.99 a lb for ground chuck,and every once in a while will get a roast or chops when they are on sale. I wait till I can get it at this price and then fill the freezer. I also never pay more than $.25 a can for veggies or $.99 a can for fruit.
I only get leg quarters in the chicken,every now and then they have breasts for $.99lb and I will buy some then.
The DH and DK will eat it cause they don't care for the alternative(HUNGER_LOL) I told them a long time ago that I was not a restaraunt,NO special orders or substitutions!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Your meat prices are about what I pay here. I do buy meat on sale and freeze it. I also buy lots of "chicken tenders' for use in casseroles & skillet dinners-- they're cheaper than breasts.

I buy whatever lunch meat I have coupons for, and only once a month or so. Oh, wait... DH does have to have his light bologna every grocery trip. (I don't eat that, almost forgot about it, LOL!)

My only cost-cutting measure has been to buy mostly store-brand cheese- only occasionally do I buy name-brand (Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar- my favorite!!) as a special treat.

I can't remember the last time I bought either meat or cheese from the deli department, other than the store-brand pimento cheese, which is less expensive than the national brand.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
Your prices are much better than around here!! I do have a meat slicer and when I can get ham's or bulk turkey I do then slice my own and pkg & freeze....

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have been paying 19 cents a pound for chicken quarters. I had to get used to eating this as I was quite spoiled on white meat skinless breasts. I simply cannot afford to eat the way I used to eat. I have been eating great and experimenting with new ways to fix dark meat chicken and am doing quite well.

Dh and I get up EVERY Saturday morning early to catch the markdowns on meat and bread. I freeze it and use it up fairly fast. I know that Albertson's sells their ground meat daily about an hour before closing for .49 and .99 a pound for the leaner kind.

I want to eat better cuts of meat, but I have also found that my pressure cooker will tenderize just about anything if you cook it oong enough ( that does not mean ver long either...30 minutes tops)

Do you have room to freeze meat? Ask the meat man at your store about markdown meat. I have never had anything go wrong.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I buy markdown meat too ...... I use less meat now-a-days and add fillers to my taco meat and sloppy joe mix..... Add some oatmeal to it and don't tell the family and they will never know.... It's better for them anyway....

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I rarely buy meat for more than $1/lb. I buy marked down meats too (got 2 pork roasts at Meijer yesterday for .59/lb).

I watch for sales and stock up- when Meijer's had chicken leg quarters on sale for .19/lb, I bought 100 lbs.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You're doing a heck of alot better than I do. I will not buy chicken leg quarter for more than 29 cents/lb- but I usually hold out for the 19 cent/lb sales. I get pork butts for 99 cents/lb and have the butcher grind it and I make a couple different things with that. I get excited when ground beef goes below $1.89/lb. We don't have very good sales up here as far as steaks, pork chops roasts and the like.

All in all, I've pretty much cut meat out of our diet because of the rediculous prices. Not only has my wallet benefitted, but so as our health. We probably eat meat once a week. Beans are such a great substitute, they're cheap and just as filling as meat. My mother is one to have meat every night of the week and can't figure out why her grocery bill is up over $100 a week for just her and my dad. Try doing atleast one meatless meal a week, after a few months, move up to 2 and so on. Your dh and kids probably won't notice. That's how I "converted" my dh.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I get the chicken hindquarters on sale for .19 - .29 a lb in 10 lb bags. I watch for ground beef to go on sale .89 -.99/lb. Pork Chops and beef roasts will be on sale for $1.29 - $1.59 ever so often. Pork roasts go on sale for .88/lb.

I buy meat in bulk and freeze it when I find a really good price. Watch out for those boxed meat sales, ask to see whats in the box first, I've seen boxes of bones, paper thin chops, or just ends. Bacon is usually a good deal like this though.

The best, fairly frugal cut of meat I've found are Chuck Eye Steaks. They are $1.61/lb at WM and are great on the grill for those meat loving men in my life. They are tender like Ribeyes, but don't have as much flavor so they are wonderful marinated!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts