Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One or two days a week, I make meatless meals and I thought maybe some would be interested in doing this along with me. If you are vegetarian or vegan, please join in ~ I would love to see what you serve.

So for this challenge, all you have to do is go meatless on Monday for dinner. No meat, no fish. Let's try to make this a habit!

I have an added obstacle in that my DH eats virtually NO veg except salad so this will be a real challenge for me :)

Who's with me?

I'll be starting today and we are having spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. I never serve meat in my sauce so this is an easy one for me :D

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Count me in. This will be fun. :D I'm a vegetarian but dh isn't. I do make several veggie meals for him though. I will make sure on Monday's he will get a veg meal and I will post what I made. :)

Reactions: nancycg56

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Count me in. When I work it is never on mondays so we always eat together.

We love bean burgers and quesadias but other then that we always have meat so this might be tricky, unless we have the same thing everyweek.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I wouldn't mind doing this, in fact I DO do it, but not on Mondays all the time.

Our favorite is pasta and.... (whatever). My current favorite is pasta, peas, pesto, and freshly grated parmesan. Yummy, fast, easy, and I almost always (at least through the fall) have pesto on hand. One of DH's favorite summer sandwiches is pesto, tomato and mozzarella on sourdough bread. it's one of my favorites too, but I like warm stuff for dinner most of the time!

Tonight we had meat because I found a good deal on cube steaks this afternoon, but that's unusual.

Judi

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I'm already trying to figure out what to have next Monday :D
Would your dh eat veggies if it's in a lasagna dish? Like zucchini? Or zucchini cakes like crab cakes but of course without the crab. Would he eat veggies like peppers and onions for an all veggie quesadilla's? That works well in our house. I serve them with salsa, sour cream and guac. Maybe a side of rice. Come to think of it...I haven't made that for awhile.

What about black bean burgers with all the fixins. I was surprised that my whole family loves these. Maybe something with Seitan?

Don't no how you feel about mock meats but sometimes I use them.

What about a lentil or bean soup with corn bread and a salad.

Some kind of Mexican dish. Enchilada casserole. Yum

Well I'm just thinking out loud for the both of us. :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would your dh eat veggies if it's in a lasagna dish? Like zucchini? Or zucchini cakes like crab cakes but of course without the crab. Would he eat veggies like peppers and onions for an all veggie quesadilla's? That works well in our house. I serve them with salsa, sour cream and guac. Maybe a side of rice. Come to think of it...I haven't made that for awhile.

What about black bean burgers with all the fixins. I was surprised that my whole family loves these. Maybe something with Seitan?

Don't no how you feel about mock meats but sometimes I use them.

What about a lentil or bean soup with corn bread and a salad.

Some kind of Mexican dish. Enchilada casserole. Yum

Well I'm just thinking out loud for the both of us. :D
Thank you for the suggestions! He'll eat peppers, onions, mushrooms with no problems and he'll eat just about any kind of soup and things like red beans and rice, black beans and rice, etc. Raw carrots and celery and sometimes potatoes.

He will NOT eat corn, broccoli, cauliflower, veg like that.

I found a recipe for a mushroom stew that sounds good so I might try that or I'll make lentil soup or minestrone and I'll just sub veg broth for the meat broth :)

Thanks again for helping me out!!!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Also, try mushroom quesidillas or wraps, sauteed mushrooms, onion (if you like, we usually don't) peppers and cheese on/in a flour tortilla.

Or, you can make it a tostada: get some vegetarian refries, use those, layer on some cheese and pile the rest of the stuff on top. Many people like sour cream (or yogurt) and olives. DH doesn't, so I omit them.

Would have done meatless today, but the leftovers from the vegetarian Mexican beans/rice stack I made for lunch, the rice in the soup, the refries on the side. The soup also had in it the last chicken taco, chicken stock, cheese (the end of our cheap cheddar and some monterey jack), the last can of tomatoes w/ chilis in the pantry, 1/2 red onion. about 1C frozen corn and 2 boiling onions! Oh yeah, I used the tortilla from the taco on top w/some of the cheese as a "garnish" and put it under the broiler. Didn't work very well, but I used that tortilla!

Judi

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Snobby Joes is a tried and true recipe from the Veganomicon cookbook by many. I have this cookbook and have made a few recipes. I haven't made this myself but I think I am going to make this on Monday. Will see if dh likes it. ;) he is pretty open to my Vegetarian surprises. heh

Equipment:
Just a pot or two

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked lentils
4 cups water

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard (wet mustard)

4 to 6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns

Directions
Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.

Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.

Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can't wait. I like to serve these open faced, with a scoop of snobby joe on each slice of the bun.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Not a fan of cooked mushrooms but I love 'em raw. Lots of peeps love grilled portobello mushrooms. I tried it once and it was okay.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a fan of cooked mushrooms but I love 'em raw. Lots of peeps love grilled portobello mushrooms. I tried it once and it was okay.
When I was having gall bladder problems, I made stuffed portabellas and they were so good ~ thanks for reminding me of those :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
When I was having gall bladder problems, I made stuffed portabellas and they were so good ~ thanks for reminding me of those :)
What did you use to stuff them with?

I knew I spelled that wrong. :p

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the recipe :)

Stuffed Portobellos

1 small yellow sweet pepper, cut in thin strips
1 small red onion. chopped
1 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
1 carrot, shredded
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 (5 ounce) pkg fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
4 (4-5 inch) portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
4 slices provolone cheese

Preheat oven to 425º and line a cookie sheet with foil (the non-stick foil works great).

In a large skillet, cook and stir the yellow pepper, onion, zucchini, carrot, celery, and garlic in the hot olive oil over medium-high heat for approx. 4 minutes. Stir in the basil, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Top with spinach and cover. Cook for 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and stir in the crumbs and half of the Parmesan into the spinach/veggie mixture and set aside.

Arrange mushrooms, stemmed side up on the prepared pan. Top each with a slice of provolone. Divide spinach mixture among the mushrooms.

Bake 15 minutes (mushrooms may get a little watery but I didn’t have this problem). Top with remaining Parmesan and bake for 2 more minutes or until heated through.

Makes 4 servings

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
okay...wow, that does sound good! Really stuffed and hearty. :D I bet dh would like this because he loves mushrooms. Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
We had our meatless Monday today, Tuesday. homemade cream of asparagus soup, grilled eggplant, ranch style beans, veggie salad. DH had ice cream and strawberries from the garden.
I also make stir-fried vegetables, whatever is on hand, put lots of fresh herbs in the pot and don't be too skimpy with the olive oil. Stir in grated parmesan to taste and mix it up with linguine.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
We had our meatless Monday today, Tuesday. homemade cream of asparagus soup, grilled eggplant, ranch style beans, veggie salad. DH had ice cream and strawberries from the garden.
I also make stir-fried vegetables, whatever is on hand, put lots of fresh herbs in the pot and don't be too skimpy with the olive oil. Stir in grated parmesan to taste and mix it up with linguine.
That sounds so yummy! Grilled eggplant. *drools*

What was the recipe for cream of asparagus soup and ranch style beans? :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Tonight I made black bean and corn quesadillas. It was a new recipe I tried and it was really good. Called for a half cup of Cilantro.:yikes: I didn't use that much though. It had cream cheese in it. Yum. The family loved it.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am so not with it this week, LOL!

Anyway, I made a meatless ziti last night which is how I always make it but we love it that way. I wanted to be a little more creative but I seem to be brain dead this week.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tonight I made black bean and corn quesadillas. It was a new recipe I tried and it was really good. Called for a half cup of Cilantro.:yikes: I didn't use that much though. It had cream cheese in it. Yum. The family loved it.
Those look really good! I'd have to leave out the cilantro but I would sub in something else like parsley. YUMMY!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts