Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know the answer to this, but I am of the opinion that everyone in this country should have medical insurance. I just received my hospital bill for the 13 day stay I had in the hospital and it came to $45,721.85. My share is $747.00.

If a person had this bill without insurance what would they do?? I makes me really sad to think of people having to deal with no insurance. It seems to me that something could be done.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont have insurance for myself, but DH and the kids all have insurance, I was approved for medical insurance BUT because of funding I am on a waiting list, gosh I hope I am not on there forever. It's that AdultBasic coverage for low income families in PA.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
It's frightening, isn't it? We are still waiting for DH's ER bill to come. He also had to go back to the hospital for an echocardiogram and an echo stress test. I am so thankful we have insurance. I don't know what we'd do if we didn't :(

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think all Americans should be offered the same health insurance that our "esteemed" congress and senate have-that would be nice!

·
8,714 Posts
~Absolutely everyone should have insurance, more importantly though, is that major steps need to be taken to reduce the cost of medical care in the first place. The big question to me is "Why should my hospital stay cost as much as a 6 week stay in Fiji?". Cause trust me, I'd rather be in Fiji! Some people think the anwer is putting a cap on lawsuits. That's probably part of it. But as for socialized/standardized care, I'm against it. It's everything that's wrong with HMO's magnified by 10. Autumn, your bill looks like one of the 3 that DH's insurance paid for with his knee surgeries and therapy. DH works in Manufacturing/Assembly and we pay just $200 in premiums a month. That's dental too. I think the responsibility of securing insurance is a personal responsibility, even if it means you take a job you don't like but has great benefits. Or cleaning houses on the weekends to afford the $500 self-insurance premiums. And by you I don't mean YOU, lol! And if I was without insurance I'd try the bargaining route. I've seen what percent my insurance company has paid to my doctors. If the bill says $150 and the insurance price is $60 with a $10 co-pay, then the doctors' office should take just $70 from an uninsured person.~

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My last hospital stay was almost 100,000 Its a lot of money but then my meds cost almost 2000 a month with out the medical insurance I might as well forget living.......... I think they charge to much money for what they do. By the way thats a county hospital I was in......... I understand what they are trying to do , but they say you will still have to pay to much
Fern

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I understand. When my son was born he was in NICU for 5 days. Between the two of us we racked up over 50,000 in hospital bills. But for us, we do not pay for insurance. The military provides us with full coverage health insurance. We don't pay a copay except on prescriptions and that's only 3$.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have no health issurance and will not be getting any. If I get sick , I'm on my own.. ( or 6 feet under , amounts to the same )

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
We too are military BUt people must know that not all military are stationed near a military hospital so you see civilian docs and some of them do not take the military ins. I myself prefer to see civilian docs then go to a military hospital but thats another thread.
I think all low income people who need ins should be able to get it. I do NOT believe if your in this country illegally then you have a right to medical coverage or anything else.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I cannot imagine being without insurance. If we did not have it through DH's employment, I would have to work outside the home, even if it meant working only for the insurance.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I have insurance through work, and my recent round of medical, without it, would have been -- so far -- twice my annual income. As it is, I was out of pocket remarkably little. I too wonder how those without it manage. Apparently not well, since medical seems to result in a substantial percentage of debt and bankruptcies. I think that is a scandal for our country. I will stay at this job practically forever, if only because of the insurance. Not only could I not afford individual insurance, but I would probably have a hard time even finding someone to insure me, now that I have had ovarian cancer in the last year and also had diabetes diagnosed. Two costly diseases. I would be terrified to be without insurance now.

I don't know what the solution is, but one must be found. This can't be allowed to go on. Other industrialized nations seem to deal with this issue. Why can't we? Is it just that too many powerful people and entities have vested interests in business as usual?

Sorry if that sounds rant-like, but this pushes one of my major rant buttons.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I don't know what the solution is, but one must be found. This can't be allowed to go on. Other industrialized nations seem to deal with this issue. Why can't we? Is it just that too many powerful people and entities have vested interests in business as usual?

Sorry if that sounds rant-like, but this pushes one of my major rant buttons.
:yeah:

--Michelle

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm glad you didn't have to pay that full amount Autumn. I was just talking to my fiance today about how slow it will be for our country to figure out what to do about health insurance for everyone. I don't think it's fair for people to have to suffer or go bankrupt in order to pay for medical bills. It seems like it should just be offered to all with a base copay for all. The more money you have the better access you have to medical insurance and therefore you get to keep your wealth. The less money you make or have the least likely you are able to afford medical insurance and therefore the less money you will ever have in your bank account. It seems backwards to me, I was just thinking I would love for congress or the senate to live off the wage I make each month and have to figure out how to live frugally in order to survive and then sit there and clip coupons and figure out how to use them. I bet they would give up and try to figure out a way to get themselves more money from the state. :) Sorry for the rant...it's one of many issues with our country that sets me off!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Medical coverage for all is tricky. Here in England there is National Health. But because of it, people are taxed highly, hospitals are terribly understaffed and there are long waits for treatment. Plus they have to pay for their own dental. People are starting to opt for private insurance because the care is better even while still paying into National Health. It can take up to 10 years to get a kid tested for allergies! I agree that it stinks that everyone doesn't have health insurance.

Maybe the gov't can subsidize health insurance programs for companies that can't afford it for all of their employees? That way all families with one full-time working person can get a decent health coverage. Also people under 18 should get gov't subsidized health care-it's not a child's fault they don't have insurance.

These are just my opinions.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would like everyone to have access to affordable health insurance, but I worry about scenarios like jennybethg brought up. I wouldn't want that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My DW and I had no insurance for years. About a year before my 2 heart attacks it became available where she works where her employer paid half and she paid half. I also was in the hospital for 13 days, 8 oof them in the ICU. I can't remember how much the bill was, but we only had to pay $500.00 ( the ambulance ride was $800.00, we were not covered for that), and I know of no way that we could have paid it except on a payment plan, and I do not think I will live long enough to make that many payments. There is no way I would not have insurance now. I'd give up beer first.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am die hard republican but believe 100% in free medical care for everyone. I myself do not have health insurance but have low income insurance through the state for the kids. Thank goodness because my DS is about as disabled as a person comes and I could never afford his equipment,operations etc. I think it's just disgusting some of the things we as a country spend money on and yet we have no universal health care.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you wholeheartedly, everyone should have health insurance. It really upsets me when I hear of those that have none. Medical expenses are so high, it just isn't fair to not be able to afford the care that's needed. We live in the richest nation in the world, and IMO we should all have medical care. I don't have the answers as to how it would be implemented, but there has to be a way.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We just had open enrollment at work. To cover me and the kids would have been $190/paycheck plus $28 a paycheck for dental (both of these were the HMO option- PPO was $250 and $40). I shopped around and went with a PPO offered through a different company. The cost is $235 a month. Big difference. We try to pay cash up front any way and always ask for a discount. If everyone had insurance I wonder if the cost would go up from lack of competition. It is insanely high as it is but I don't have any solutions.

G

·
Personally, I think that what we should do is uncouple health insurance from employment, since right now most people get health insurance through their jobs. We should have it be more like life or auto insurance - where everyone pays for it, but you can also shop around. If health insurance companies actually had to COMPETE to find people to sign up, my guess is that the prices would come down a lot - you also wouldn't be stuck without insurance because you got laid off.

I know that there are private plans right now, but because they are such an anomoly they're astronomically expensive.

I also agree that capping lawsuit awards would do a lot to bring down costs. With such outrageous amounts being awarded, it drives up the malpractise insurance costs, and then to pay for it doctors charge more - I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to sue for damages if you're injured due to malpractise, but these multi-million dollar awards are just totally unreal!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts