Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those Americans who are looking into or have looked at Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plans, which did you choose and what was the cost?

I believe basic Medicare covers 80% of services (medical) and to cover the other 20%, you pay co-pays, does not cover dental or vision, and you need to purchase a medi-gap plan (cost can be $3000/yr or more). Medicare Advantage is a insurance plan from a company that has a premium but no co-pays and can cover dental and vision (if desired but that will cost you).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Suze Orman recently did a podcast on this; she does not like all of the commercials encouraging people to buy Medicare Advantage. I plan to purchase a gap policy and use basic Medicare. That's what my dad did, and it covered all of of my parents' hospital stays, surgeries, doctor visits, etc...I pay cash for vision at Costco, and use Zellies for dental. (a mouthcare system designed by Dr. Ellie.) She has free Youtube videos online.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have always heard to go straight Medicare and get a supplement....which is what I did....I pay nothing for doctor visits...hospitals stays...lab work....it covered my cataracts surgery.....I also have a drug plan....in all it is expensive but since I have health problems, it has really paid off....just a two night stay in the hospital was paid completely.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts