Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peanut has been with us 3 weeks now, and he's turning out to be the best pet! He's a 1 year old Chihuahua/Basenji mix from a no-kill adoption agency. He came to us kennel and house trained. He weighs 11 pounds and is full-grown. I like this dog, a lot. He trains easily, and learned to leash walk in a week, learned "sit" in about an hour, very trainable and smart. Demands attention/play/walks daily though.

I looked long and hard to find him, as our closest shelter is a high kill shelter with not much to offer. :furious:

We traveled 45 miles to get him, but my 2nd choice would have been 150 miles away...so yippee! Our local city adoption/shelters are charging $250 to $500 to adopt a pet. Now, how is that encouraging people to adopt a shelter pet instead of buying from a breeder or store? I realize there are expenses in the adoption process, but the desirable dog's adoption fees were jacked up a few hundred dollars. Expenses aren't more just because the dog is "cute". I started looking farther from home, and the adoption costs came down, and weren't different by breed or cuteness.

Getting out of the big city brought the adoption fee down to $125 including all shots/neuter/chipping.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Very cute! The adoption fees here are also outrageous. When we decided to get a dog back in the summer we found one on Craigslist that has been a wonderful addition to our family. Even a cat here is over 100.00 at the shelters. A desirable dog is easily 300.00 . We have three shelter cats though ranging in ages from 16 to 3 .

Reactions: Pianolady

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Peanut is adorable! The price you paid for him is comparable to our local SPCA's prices. We got our last kitten for $100, chipped, spayed, and all her first sets of shots.

Congrats on your new addition.

·
27,948 Posts
What a lucky pooch! Peanut is a sweetie!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
What a cutie, Congratulations on you new addition!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Peanut is the cutest thing every. Reminds me of my dog (a chihuahua and the same color) that lives with my mom. I just wanna sneak in and give him a hug and maybe steal him. hehe :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Very sweet looking dog!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
oooh nice looking dog! Glad you chose to rescue.

In response to the high cost of adoption, please consider this:
About Dogs - Dog Adoption Fees

I'm very glad you chose to adopt, despite the price, and it was wise of you to look outside the inner city shelter which probably has a lot more expensive overhead than a shelter elsewhere.

He's such a beauty!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
OMG how adorable!! I'd love to have a Chihuahua but dad is anti-pet and well with his health failing him slowly, this isnt the right timing THOUGH I do think pets do make others happy and relieve stress. Also, DF doesn't want a Chihuahua, he want's a Great Dane. All in due time - we will have both dogs....can you imagine them snuggling together? ROFL

And thank you for choosing to adopt :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
How precious!!

Our local shelters charge a little under $100. That only includes the altering,-male and female, and Rabies vaccination. Supposedly the animals are already wormed with first set of shots...Uhmmm...I disagree. Every pet I've adopted from these places has had numerous intestinal parasites and had to be treated at the vet's office within a couple of days of adoption. ((Not counting the flea and tick issues...))

BUT I can't seem to help myself...I still adopt pets from there due to the large number of animals being put down.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Awww what a sweetie! Enjoy your new addition to your family!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congratulations, were I live they charge a $350.00 adoption fee. I always aquire second hand dogs too. LOL I just can't say no to a German Shorthaired Pointer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts