Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Melissa I need help LOL (still we all know that! ;) )

My Dad gave me a stamp before he died, so (silly me) I really want to keep it ~ Only I don't know what to do with it LOL.

It looks like a wooden backed rubber stamp only the 'rubber' part is metal :confused:

Am I making sense here?

I can take a pic if it helps but you're on-line now and I'm impatient LOL.

What do you use one for????

Thanks in advance coz I know you'll know LOL

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I am betting it is a wax seal. I have had one and loved it, got lost in a move. mine you could make impressions in melted wax for envelopes, letters, home decorations etc...really looked neat on the sides of pillar candles. I might not be thinking of the same thing you have. I'd love to see a pic just to be sure I haven't told you completely the wrong thing :toothy:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it is? I do have a wax seal and it's little with an initial on it - this one is fairly big and from what I can make out has a whole christmas message on.

Going to get it now and photo it - BRB (if you're still here :) )

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Could it be for embossing? Or maybe it is a design used in older style newspaper type printing where a brayer would roll ink over the stamp face and would then be pressed to the paper? Perhaps used for making cards or greetings?

I can't wait to see it, lol, i have all sorts of ideas of what it "could be"

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Carolyn i had just been editing to suggest somehting similar! great minds think alike huh?? :D

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here it is - next to my wax seal and wax LOL - so you get an idea of it's size (although I could've just measured it duh lol)

The writing is all back to front.

I thought it was for embossing although I still don't know how you'd use it?

But now you say it - it could be old and useless (in a practical sense) to me ~ That would be my 'magpie' Dad all over LOL.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I am wondering if it was used by a greetings company to print quantities of greetings for Christmas. I am thinking it may have fit in a press, a brayer came up and applied ink, and the press then applied the image to the card (or perhaps a page in a book??), much in the same way a newspaper press would. I don't think it is useless at all, in fact I would hold onto it as a treasure!

:D

edited to add some other ideas of what it might be:

maybe used for slik screen printing??

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would SO fit my father! LOL - the things he kept! :eek:

If I go and look in his workshop he probably has the whole printing press tucked away somewhere LOL.

Do you think there is anyway you could actually 'use' it - like embossing or something? How would you use it anyway? I mean unless I find the printing press LOL.

It's a shame the printing on it looks lovely?

I'm so sentimental - it crossed my mind I could sell it on eBay as a collectable but I just CAN'T do it! My Dad would be LHAO now :angel:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
No, no, no~ don't sell it. LOL, i'd cry like a baby!

how would I use it? I am thinking that if you could find a brayer (looks like a small paint roller, but smooth roller instead of fuzzy) and a variety of inks; take the brayer and roll it over the ink pad a few times to get an even coating on the brayer. then roll the brayer over some scrap paper a few times to release the excess ink. then roll the brayer across the image. Lay your paper onto the image. place a sheet of scratch paper over the back of this paper and use the brayer once more to apply pressure to the paper so it will pick up the image from the stamp. sounds complicated, but essentially what you are doing is applying the paper to the stamp, instead of the stamp to the paper.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
We'll think of ways for you to use it ! Let us think and don't make Melissa cry !!!!!!!!! LOL It really is a pretty thing !!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts