Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made toffee and hard caramel that call for melted chocolate chips spread on top of the candy. But the chocolate hardens and just falls off. What can I do to prevent this? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Roll the caramels in corn starch or powdered sugar. The oil/fat in the cream caramels is what's doing it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Does the recipe want you to put the chocolate on the toffee while it's still warm? If it doesn't, that's what I'd try. I've had toffee "pops" that had chocolate chips on them that weren't melted and they stuck OK....so I wonder why melted chocolate wouldn't stick....hmmm...I'm curious to see what others say.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Oh, you can probably dust them with cocoa powder, too.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
When I make toffee, as soon as the toffee is in the pan, I sprinkle on the chips and then cover the toffee pan with a cookie sheet (to hold the heat in) wait a couple minutes and then spread the now-melted chips with a spatula.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The recipe actually calls for the candy to cool before you add the melted chocolate chips. I haven't added water, just veg oil. I'm trying to cut the caramels and the chocolate is just falling off. Very disappointing. For the next batch I'll try cocoa or powdered sugar and see if that helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
The recipe actually calls for the candy to cool before you add the melted chocolate chips. I haven't added water, just veg oil. I'm trying to cut the caramels and the chocolate is just falling off. Very disappointing. For the next batch I'll try cocoa or powdered sugar and see if that helps. Thanks!
It might even be the brand of choc. chips too.......did you try another brand?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.