Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew! :laugh: Took me long enough!

First let me say, this is going to be a LONG post! LOL Not because it is a difficult pattern (although they made it confusing! :D ) But, because I want you to understand why you have to do each step.

Like I said before, you will need Cotton Interlock Knit fabric. This is because it needs to stretch around the head and is good for many different sized adults. You could use solid dark colors for men. It can be found in most fabric stores and runs anywhere between $2 - $10 a yard. You should be able to get it for around $4 - $6 a yard. So to make 2 caps you will need 1/2 yard (or around $2 - $3 for 2 caps.) Make sure it is 60" wide. Most Cotton Interlock Knits are 60" wide, but I have seen them also at 54" wide. For this pattern you need 60" wide.

In making the pattern pieces, I did the full size. But when I actually made the cap, I made a MUCH smaller version so it would all fit in the camera frame. It only measures about 2 1/2" tall! :D

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How to make a paper pattern.
(you can also make this out of a lightweight cotton fabric like muslin)

You will need:

5 sheets of copy paper
pencil
ruler
tape
scissors

(As you can see I forgot the scissors! :D )

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take 4 sheets of copy paper and butt together, tape in place. Should measure 17" x 22".
Measure 1/2' down on the 22" side, mark the line and cut off the 1/2". Now piece measures 17" x 21 1/2".
I'm using my quilting ruler to do this. I placed the edge of the ruler along one 17" side, then drew a straight line, add an arrow to the top and bottom of this line. This will be for the straight of grain. I also wrote all the particulars of the pattern. Name (Chemo Cap) , that it is the Band, the Grain Line, the 1/4" Seam Allowance (this is so if I make something a year from now I will remember how to do it) and to Cut 1 or Cut 2 (depending on how many caps you want to make at a time).

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now take another sheet of paper and find the center, place a dot there. With your ruler, place the dot on the 3 5/8" mark. Make a mark at the end of the ruler and at the 7 1/4" mark. Keep doing this all the way around until you have enough marks to "connect the dots". And you will have a 7 1/4' circle made. If you have a compass this is much easier, but I don't.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now "connect the dots" to make the circle.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now before you cut out the circle, lay your ruler flush with one of the straight edges of the paper, and draw a grain line on this piece, same as with the band. Write all the particulars about this pattern piece on the paper pattern. Such as Name (Chemo Cap), that it is the Crown, the Grain Line, the 1/4" Seam Allowance, and to Cut 2 or Cut 4 (depending on how many caps you want to make at a time). Now you can cut out your pattern piece.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to explain about the Grain of fabric. This is very important in sewing. Have you ever bought a T-shirt that looked great until you washed and dried it? Then it was all twisted by the seam line? This is because it was not cut out on the Straight of Grain. You need to find the Straight of Grain before you do anything else. Look at your fabric real close. You will see the lines, for this pattern you want them to be going up and down on the cap.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That way the stretch of the cap goes around the head.

Here is how to find the stretch of the fabric.

(Dh helped with this one! :D )

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pinning on the pattern.

Lay your fabric out, and smooth out all the wrinkles. (I am using mine doubled in the pictures.) Don't try to force knit fabric, like lining up the selvages even, it generally has a mind of its own. Just make sure the grain of the fabric is straight. I generally place the fold of the fabric towards me. You will never, ever use the selvage of any fabric. It is just too tightly bound.

This is what the selvage looks like in knit fabric. I has little holes in it where is was attached to the machine.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lay the Band pattern piece (one of the 17" sides is closest to you) on the fabric as close to the fold as you can with just a little bit of fabric showing. Place a pin in the top of the arrow of the grain line through the pattern and the fabric. Now take your measuring tape, place the end of it (0") on the line (where you just pinned) and measure over to the fold. Note this measurement.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take the measuring tape and place at the bottom of the grain line (by the arrow) and do the same thing, except this time you want the exact same measurement you had from the top of the grain line, i.e. measures 16 3/8" from the grain line to the fold at the top of the pattern, you want the bottom to also be 16 3/8". You can pivot the pattern piece until you get the same measurement. Place a pin through the pattern and the fabric. Now you can pin all the way around the pattern piece.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take your Crown pattern piece and do the same thing. Place a pin in the top arrow of the grain line, measure over to the fold (do not use the selvage, it is usually off), note the measurement.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now do the same thing to the bottom of the grain line. Pin all the way around the pattern piece and then cut out.

The way I have layed this out, (with the fabric folded in half) will give you 2 caps. Now you will need to cut out a second set of Crowns for the second cap. You can place the pattern piece (or make a second one) below where you cut out the first one. A half yard of fabric will make 2 caps.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cut out the band and the second set of crowns. Remove all pins. You can place a pin on each piece to mark the right side or wrong side of the fabric, whichever is easiest for you to remember, but mark the same sides on all of the pieces. i.e. Mark all right sides or all wrong sides.

You will want matching thread, correct machine needle size (for knit fabrics use a number 9 ball point, this is because it won't pick the fabric). If you have a stretch stitch on your machine this would be great to use. It will make the seams much stronger and the cap will last through many washings. If you don't have a stretch stitch, I would sew the seams using a regular straight stitch, and then inside of the 1/4" seam allowance, I would sew a narrow zig zag stitch. This is another way to reinforce a seam.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Instructions for 1 Chemo Hat

1) Take one band section, and fold in half, right sides together (the 17" sides matched up). Sew a 1/4" seam down the length. (Reinforce the seam if you choose to).

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the seam sewn. I used a dark color thread so you can see it.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2) Press the seam open. (Do this gently, a little bit of steam and the tip of the iron is best for knit fabric as it will stretch out of shape.)

(I finger pressed this, I was too lazy to get out the iron! :D )

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3) Now you want to match up your seam. Take one end of the tube where the seam is and and match it up with the seam at the top.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4) Do this all the way around the piece, and place a pin through both pieces at the seam.

5) Fold the band in half on the seam, place a pin directly across from it in the fold. You have now halved the piece.

The seam side is on the left in this picture.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6) Match up the 2 pins, and on either side of them at the 2 folds place 2 more pins. You have now quartered up the band. The pins are now an equal distance from each other, disecting the band into 4 equal parts.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts