Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Growing up, we always filled the trunk of the car with mason jars filled with water and cut peonies, and took them to the graveyards on Memorial Day. We wandered around finding the graves of relatives and putting flowers on them. It was a way of keeping their memories alive. Usually the VFW was there doing a small ceremony and a high school boy would be over the hill playing Taps. While we made Memorial Day a time to remember family, I also realized that it was originally a time to remember veterans.

So....... what veterans do you honor? Why?

My honor goes to my grandfather and my father, both veterans of foreign wars. Grandpa was in WW1 and Dad was in WW2. Grandpa served in France for the most part and Dad was in Japan. Both of them felt that it was an honor to defend America, and they took pride in doing their job well. Both were very glad to get back home, and very glad that the wars were over. Both married when they returned, started a family, and started farming. My hat is off to people like this who interrupt their lives and plans for the greater good. Happy Memorial Day, Grandpa and Dad!!

Reactions: gapeach

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have several grandfathers generations back who were in the civil war and I try to make the trip to their cemetary.

My rememberences are of more immediate family: My mother and maternal grand parents and numerous great aunts and uncles who were very much a factor in my early life.

We honor DH grand father and great uncles who were veterans as well as his more immediate family that are now gone.

Doing genealogy we have found a couple of DH early generation grandfathers were in the civil war and are planning to visit that cemetary also this weekend. We will spiffy up their plots and perhaps bring a small arrangement of silk flowers.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
My father was a Korean War vet. He LOVED Memorial Day. Always made a big deal of putting out the flag. Thanks for reminding me to take a moment this weekend to honour his memory and his service to the country.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My grandfather who was navy........my parents and grandmothers. All our service men and wemen who are still fighting for this county.
Fern

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My husband, he was in the Navy for 22 years. And my cousin, he recently retired from the Army Reserves but not before serving in Iraq. I thank both of these men for their courage and willingness to protect me and my fellow American citizens, may God continue to Bless them both. :usasmile:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
We celebrate and honor my Dad and my FIL. My Dad served 25 years in the Army, fought in WWII and the Korean War. He passed away 13 years ago. My FIL was a medic and fought in WWII. We also have several extended family members who served and who currently serve our Country and many friends who serve or who have children who serve! We say a prayer each day and we are THANKFUL to all the men and women who are fighting to protect us all!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
My best friend from college left for a year in Afghanistan this week. He is a doctor and sure to see and experience some horrible things. It doesn't quite fit the memorial day bill exactly but he is heavy on my mind and heart this week.

Please pray for him and all our soldiers living and dead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am honoring both brothers, my dad and an uncle, all vets. Also, have joined the crocheting group that makes afgans for vets in hospitals. So cool!:usasmile:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A man at church said today that he fought (Viet Nam) to keep the quality of life in this country. He continued, "Americans are not trying to break out of this country, but plenty of others are trying to break in." He reminded us of how wonderful America is, despite its problems, when it is so desirable to others who wish to live here. I appreciated his willingness to lay his life on the line so that I and the future generations can keep on with this quality of life.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
My dad served in the Navy, I lost him to suicide last April.
My ex FIL who was a WWII vet, I loved this man dearly and I'm so thankful he was my kids grandfather.
My fiancee's niece who served in Iraq for 4 years in the Air Force and who is now in the Army. Her brother who is also in the Army.
I thank God my brother never saw fighting while he served 6 years as a Marine.

Cat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts