Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FV Buddy
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my brother made a montage of clips from old home movies for our family members for Christmas. It included two very special people: my memere and pepere (french for grandma and grandpa) who passed in the last two years. What a treasure to have these images forever to watch whenever I miss them.
The best part on the tape: my memere (hunched over, big top with bird legs, LOL) wearing a cap and holding onto a beer and talking like she was doing a commercial....( I know, had to be there)

What are your memories of loved ones gone?

My most vivid memory of when I was a child with my grandmother was dancing with her to "music box dancer"...I hear that song and I cry everytime. Miss you memere, Love you.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Oh babynurse! Is that how you spell memere???? My kids call my mother that! That's what my mom wanted her grandchildren to call her! My grandfather was French-Canadian.

That's nice that you have wonderful memories of her.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My favorite memories are of my grandma who has been gone almost 14 years. Whenever I would spend the weekends with her we would stay up real late on friday nights & saturdays she would hand me her cookbooks and have me pick a couple {not just one} recipes and we would bake together. I remember her cinnamon rolls, noone makes them the way she made them & her pies, we would bake apple pies & all kinds of cookies. I sure miss those days of being in my grandmas kitchen & the sweet smells of goodies being baked :)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
DH's paternal grandmother and I were friends, not just relatives. We spent a lot of time together before I had the kids. I would pick her up on a Saturday and we would go get her groceries and have lunch. We had the best time! I rememeber her shoes (white plastic clogs) and her perfume. There is a lady in our town that looks remarkably like her and when I see her from a distance, she looks like Pokey (her pet name)! The first time I saw this woman was just a few days after Pokey had died and I swear, I thought I was seeing a ghost! I now think this was her way of telling me she was fine where she was. I still miss her almost every day.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I remember Sundays on the beach with my mom.
She took me every Sunday when we lived in Florida.
When my Aunt Pauline lived with us she took 1 hand and Mom took the other and they lifted me high out of the huge (to a very small 7 yearold!) Waves.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I remember beibg comfortable with my grandma, I had a chaotic chidhood and it always went away when I was at grandma's house. I also remeber stealing my granpa's hat. I have a lot of memories. I have lost 7 close relatives in the last 3 years.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I lost my mother's mom my senior year of HS. DD 10 is named for her. My best memories are of her calling me "grandbaby", pretending potato wedges were named after me "Jo-jo potatoes", and watching her comb her hair. She had long black hair (to her waist) that she always wore up but she would take it down at night and comb it. I thought she was a movie star.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts