Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like I've started down the road to menopause even though I'm only 39. I've started with the hot flashes and feel like I'm roasting in my own skin, ugh! I'm sure it's not my thyroid or anything because I've been tested for that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the herbal or natural stuff on the market for hot flashes and if it works. Does eating soy products help any? I'm getting desperate here for some relief from this, I feel like the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz that is "melting, melting" Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I turn into a smoldering blob :toothy:

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
There is a really good book out on this titled Before the Change - taking charge of your perimenopause by Ann Louise Gittleman. I heard her on Dr. Phil and she was excellant. If you can get the book, it tells you all about alternative ways in order to get through this.

I found with the hot flashes, if I had a drink of orange juice (cold) they went away. I also sleep with a fan on and that helped during the night.

Also not eating spicey foods, not drinking anything with caffiene and taking Vitamin E can help.

You might also want to go to a good health food store and see what they have, although before taking anything I would see your family physician or gyn.

There is also a thread started in this forum where others made suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
How long does it usually take?

I do not remember exactly when the symptoms started, but I think it has been around 8 years. I know I was under 40 when they started and I am almost 46 now.

I have book that says it last between 2 to 15 years. That is not too helpful. And seeing the 15 makes me feel a bit irritable.

My symptoms are reasonably mild, but seem to have changed a bit in the last few months. Maybe that means I am near the end?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, I am in surgical menopause so I'm on the estrogen patch. While that helped with the majority of the menopause symptoms, I was still getting hot flashes. My OB/GYN told me to take Estroven or the WalMart generic equivalent. The extra strength has 80 mg of black cohash in one pill. I take one a day and no more hot flashes (except in the very worst days of summer - but hey, who doesn't perspire then?)

As time went on I also needed to use progesterone cream made from wild yams (I get it at any natural food store that has a pharmacy section). The cream really helps with the bladder/vaginal issues that come along later in menopause.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I second Estroven.

I was at an annual Xmas party years ago and we all were talking menopause. When I asked if anyone was taking anything for the symptoms, most of the ladies said they took Estroven. If there was a Walmart version back then, I wasn't aware of it. I bought mine at Sam's club and it did help.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I went into surgical menopause over 10 years ago and my body still acts like I'm cycling through my periods. If I wasn't taking the Estroven, I'd still be having hot flashes. The symptoms last a lot longer than anyone ever warned me about. I started peri-menopause in my late 30's and I'm in my my-50's now.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I went into surgical menopause over 10 years ago and my body still acts like I'm cycling through my periods. If I wasn't taking the Estroven, I'd still be having hot flashes. The symptoms last a lot longer than anyone ever warned me about. I started peri-menopause in my late 30's and I'm in my my-50's now.
Eeek! I started around the same time as you, but I hope I am finished sooner.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm 49. In my 30's I did fertility meds which essentially had menopause sx's. Then post partum I couldn't swallow. Found out my TSH was 56 - normal is 0.4-4. I was put on thyroid meds. I had a goiter. Now I've been taking evening primrose to help with hot flashes. It seems to work. I also have a mirena IUD which is due to come out next July 2015. My dilemma is my GYN is also my boss and planning to retire 2016. So I've decided seeing as he's the only one I want doing surgery on me I will have a hyst next Spring. The IUD was put in due to dysfunctional bleeding (excessively). I am terrified tho of doing the patches as my sister died of a rare uterine cancer leiomyosarcoma which was ER/PR positive. I'm praying I'm past meno by next Spring when I have the hyst. Has anyone read Suzanne Sommers book regarding bioidenticals? I don't want meds/hormones and need to research the more natural approach. I'm just so confused about all of this.

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
I am 57, been going thru it about 7-8 years now. I took Black Cohosh and drank soy milk. I have stopped both and don't notice any difference. I get about 1-2 hot flashes a night. Never took hormones.

I figure as long as I get hot flashes I won't have a period. I had one Sept. '12 after not having one since June '11. When I told my OB-GYN nurse, she wanted me to get an ultrasound. I was about to leave for the south and didn't have time. I know it was just a stray period, not "post-menopausal bleeding" so I wasn't worried. I promised her that if it happened again I would seek medical attention. It hasn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts