Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd make these for lunch tomorrow.

Mexican Bean Burgers

Rated:
Submitted By: ANDERVAL
Photo By: Erimess
Servings: 8
"These burgers can be baked, grilled, or fried. Great served on a bun with avocado, lettuce, sour cream, and cheese."
INGREDIENTS:
1 carrot, sliced
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups salsa
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste
1 pinch chili powder
DIRECTIONS:
1. Place carrot into a bowl, and fill with about 1/4 inch of water. Cover with plastic wrap, and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until soft. Drain.
2. Mash beans and steamed carrot in a large bowl. Mix in green pepper, onion, salsa, bread crumbs, and whole wheat flour. Season with salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Add flour to create a firmer mixture, or more salsa if the mixture is too stiff. Form mixture into 8 patties, and place on a greased baking sheet.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with cooking spray. Fry the patties for about 8 minutes on each side, or until browned and firm.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Those look good - I like that they are baked not fried. If I could get DH to eat beans, I'd make them - he insists he cannot eat beans, although enjoys them when I sneak them into things. Loves hummus, I have not told him what it's made from :lol:

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Thanks Ann.

Those sound good but I would probably sub the kidney beans for black beans. Usually have to choke down kidney beans. :)

Reactions: HandyMom

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made tonight, I used less salsa & added more spice. We like things with a bit of heat. I chopped vegetables fine and cooked till tender on stove before adding. I made thin and pan fried. Served in tortillas with salsa. DH went back for thirds.

They would be good with canned corn in them. And more heat, they needed powdered red pepper to give them some kick.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For anyone interested I did the math.
per serving:

148 calories
1.2 grams fat
0 cholesterol
28.9 carbohydrates
6.4 grams protein
OMG you are a mind reader LOLOLOL I was JUST thinking that I wonder what the stats are on these babies! I've got serious gut issues that require me to track protein and to a lesser degree carbs in everything I put in my mouth!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.