Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ask for military discounts? Do you get them?

I try to ask for them at as many places as I can. Last night I was purchasing a pair of running shoes from Champs. My total was going to be $69.99. My total after my military discount was $59.35.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I got this list from a truck website I go to.

Here is the new list...

All these businesses offer military discounts; all you have to do is ask:

Federal Employee 15% discounts are for cell phone services
Arby's
A&W
Back Yard Burgers
Burger King
Captain D's
Chick-Fil-A
Cotton Patch
Denny's
Dunkin' Donuts
Farmers Boy
IHOP (20 percent discount with military identification)
Java Café
KFC
Long John Silver
Pancho's Mexican Buffet
Pizza Hut
Quizno's
Sizzler
Sonic
Taco Bell
Whataburger

AT&T
California Cryobank
Geico
Jiffy Lube
Meineke
Sears Portrait Studio

Blockbuster
Movie theaters
Ripley's attractions and museums
Professional Sports teams

Apple Computers
AutoZone
Barnhill's
Bass Pro Shop
Bath and Body Works
Big 10 Tires
The Buckle
Champs Sports
Copeland's Sports
Dell
The Discovery Channel Store
Dress Barn
The Finish Line
Foot Action
Footlocker
Gadzooks
GNC
Goody's
Great Party
Happy Harry's
Home Depot
Hot Topic
Jockey
Lerner
Lowe's
Michael's
NAPA Auto Parts
New York & Company
Pac Sun
Payless Shoes
Play It Again Sports
Pure Beauty
Sally Beauty Supply
Spencer's Gifts
Suncoast
Timberland Outlets
Wilson's Leather

·
Registered
867 Posts
There is some motel in Norwich, NY that has been advertising free rooms for servicemembers on leave.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I think maybe some of those in my list may vary from place to place especially if they are privately owned.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the list Russ!

I forgot that we get 15% off of our phone plan from U.S. Cellular as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never remember to ask, I was told years ago by a very rude person that they didn't give military discounts. Later after the first gulf war when most of the National Guard from our area was deployed and people started giving them my dd said mama what don't you ask daddy is military. I reminded her that dh advised me not to unless they had it displayed where the public could see it because it could also be used to violated our security clearance showing my id card. We had problems at a certain time. Now I only flash it where they say they gladly give them. My dh is one the security persons and at one time my id was stolen from the base so I am very careful about this now after all these years even recently I saw on the news where a lot of people had their id stolen on our local base. Over 3,000 people affected and their banks compromised.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While in Chicago on our anniversary trip, we had many places offer military discounts offered to us without us asking. I think the fact that we went around 9-11 and hubby's high and tight haircut probably helped that.

As a result, we got into the Museum of Contemporary Art free, he got into the Willis Tower (aka Sears Tower) free, and he was offered a reduced ticket price on a boat tour.

Made me a very happy wifey!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hubby is a state correctional officer. He always asks if he can get a discount if the business posts that they give discounts to military, police, and fire. He always gets it. He has even been given a discount without asking when he as walked into fast food restaurants with his uniform on.

Take it! You and your husband earned it.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OHH! I just thought of another one. There is an 'adult' entertainment store here in town that gives a military, police, and city employee discount.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We ask( DH is active duty army) but most times places at least where we're at do not have military discounts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here are some discounts I know about:

B&Bs For Vets - Home
B&Bs and Inns are providing free rooms on Wednesday, November 10, in observance of Veterans Day, November 11, to honor servicemen and women currently serving or who have previously served their country

NIKE factory store in Tilton, NH: ID card holders are allowed to shop

Chick-fil-a in the Burlington offers a 50% discount

Aeropostale 10%

Boston Fine Arts Museum: free for AD & Family

Reactions: McD

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't get a chance to ask often since we're in Germany. But when we were on our COT leave, we used military discounts for hotel rooms.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't get a chance to ask often since we're in Germany. But when we were on our COT leave, we used military discounts for hotel rooms.
Are you stationed at Ramstein?

·
Registered
199 Posts
My husband was stationed at Ramstein for 9 years, I was born in Kaiserslautern! My hometown is Otterberg about 15 minutes from the base. If you have any questions feel free to pm me! :)
Many Blessings,
Melanie

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I didn't see this one, and it's for ALL vets, and it's for a 10% discount at Lowes. At 1st they took our word for it, now they want ID. I was happy when I found one of my hubby's papers for proof of service. That 10% adds up quick when you got projects and repairs going on.

Theresa :)

Sorry Russ! Somehow I missed this on your post, but I'll leave it just in case someone didn't realize that you don't need to be actively serving to qualify.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I try to use them but several places are rude about it since we are in a military town & many people try to use them. I love using it at CiCis pizza. Once I used it at Papa Johns & it was 30% off. Tried to use it again & the new manager got very nasty with me & said she had never heard of it. When picked up our pizza I was told that if she is working they can't give it but any other time they do. Ah well. Great when they work!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is there a place on this forum to request expired coupons for military families living overseas?
I just went into the coupon forum and asked if anyone would send me theirs. Where are you guys?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Via their facebook page, I found out that Express offers a 10% discount year round for military members.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts