Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We heard tonight an warnign from FT Carson about con artists targeting military families with soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was on the news this eveining : www.krdo.com

FT. CARSON FAMILIES TARGETED BY CON ARTISTS
Impersonators Try To Obtain Personal Information About Soldiers
by News 13 Team

8/5/2003

SOME FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOVED ONES SERVING IN IRAQ HAVE BEEN TARGETED BY CON ARTISTS.

FORT CARSON OFFICIALS SAY PEOPLE POSING AS ARMY CASUALTY NOTIFICATION OFFICERS HAVE CONTACTED THE FAMILIES OF FIVE SOLDIERS SINCE APRIL.

INVESTIGATORS SAY THE SUSPECTS TOLD THE FAMILIES THEY HAD IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT THEIR LOVED ONES BUT NEEDED TO SEE DOCUMENTS SUCH AS SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS AND BIRTH AND MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES FIRST.

ONE OF THE IMPERSONATORS EVEN ASKED FOR A CHECK FOR $300.

NO ARRESTS HAVE BEEN MADE YET.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
GRRRR :fpunch:That makes me so MAD!!!! Like they don't have enough worries already! Just try that at my house buddy!

If there is need of notification it will be someone that works with the military member most times. They will not need your SSN for anything.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add that if it seems fishy call the police or mp's right away, if they are legit, they won't mind one bit. If they aren't then they will be caught.

This story ticked me off royally, and made me cry for my friends who are and who have family abroad. I posted it to warn my friends here to be aware of it. I am hoping not to create a hysteria. Knowledge is power. And i feel we need to take power from these low-lifes who are preying on our service members and their families.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
There is no too low for con artists, is there?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
That just makes me sick.....it's so sad what people will do to others!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts