Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for anyone that is/has been in a military family. This family structure is very unique. You move around every few years, can end up a single parent for months and someone has a stronger hold on your SO than you! I thought it'd be nice for us to see who else out there is going through the same experiences/struggles.

My info:

Grew up an Air Force brat. I enlisted in the Army the summer before my senior year in HS. After two years, I seperated to make things easier when I married DH. DH is in the Air Force. When we were in Nebraska he did four wartime deployments within the three years we there. It was tough-we were afraid he might not make it to our wedding! But we like the lifestyle-actually I don't know any different. But DH likes the moves and new experiences.

·
Registered
546 Posts
:usasmile: I'm an Army wife. Dh enlisted a month after our 1st anniversary. He was deployed for a year 5 months out of AIT. He's been home almost 5 months now. :smooch: But we just got word of another deployment early next year. :(

For the most part I enjoy the life. We haven't moved yet besides to our first base, Ft Sill. We got lucky in a way. We are living only 3 hours away from our hometown. We joke that even joining the Army didn't get us out of Oklahoma. haha.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh and BTW cinchouse.com is a GREAT place for military women/wives/girlfriends. :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I just added it to my favorites!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
<~~~~~~~~~ USMC wife here - dh has been deployed or otherwise seperated from us three times (12 mths each) since 2001 - he is currently deployed now --- it's lonely :(

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
thanks for the link - I also added it to my favs. :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
I really love the message boards there. (It's under Cinchouse Cafe). I'm there when I'm not on here. :D. There's a chat room too.

The ladies there really helped me through deployment. Lots of support.

·
Registered
41 Posts
almost ex-military-wife here. Still-husband is in the Army, currently in Korea.

@Tammi....I lived in Fort Sill from 96-2003. Oh my God, I hated it at first! But I got used to it and when I left for Rhode Island, I acutally missed the very hot summers.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I grew up an army brat. I have lived all over the place...germany, washington, hawaii, california, etc etc. :) I like the non military lifestyle we have now, but some days we miss the community feeling we had on base. :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Military brat here. My father was in the Marines for 30 years. DH was in for 6. He left for a year in Okinowa Japan just 1 week after we married! After that, he was gone atleast 4 months every year. DH and I just celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary last week. :) He got out of the Corps in 98.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
My DH is National Guard. We don't move around, but dh has been deployed twice since 2001. He was in Iraq for a year from 2004-2005, and was deployed to Germany in 2001 for 6 months. I also go to Cinc house when I am not here. Lots of good info there.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I served three years in the National Guard. I got out when I realized I was pregnant. DH is still serving and leaves for Iraq in May/June.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I grew up an Army brat and ended up marrying an Army soldier. We are currently in Fort Hood, TX. And, yes indeed, military families surely have a unique structure, and for some of us it's just a way of life.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Air Force wife of 11 years, Dh is leaving Monday for 4 months.
We have been pretty lucky with his deployments, none of them were longer than 5 months.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Deployment on Monday

My husband is leaving on Monday for 4 months, also this is one of many TDY's, it is really hard for me this time.
The world has become so dangerous, in the US and outside.
Of course it doesn't help, that I have a terrible cold....
Any other hubbies gone right now?
Have a great day!
Melanie
:ribbon:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dh joined just out of HS and we married after his tech school. He's been in almost four years now, and he's been @ keesler, then we moved to Phoenix (amazing place to live), and now we're in NC. We'll probablly be her at least until he re-enlists in 2 years. I really love the miltary life. I feel secure. I don't like moving around from place to place so soon, but I enjoy meeting new people and seeing new places.

DH has never been deployed even though he's volunteered. Sending a Big Hug for those of you who have your Husband away!:hug2:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Dh has been in the Army 26 yrs, First 12 reserves and now 14 active. Hes was in Iraq 2004-2005, was shot down in a copter and awarded the bronze star. Before we got to our current duty stations ( Ft McCoy) he was tdy 6 months out of the yr. Since we have been here( July 2005) he hasnt gone tdy at all. I am so used to him being gone that its kind of hard to have him home all the time. LOL ( I know civilain wives dont understand that)
Dh says he isnt getting out till they kick him out. At our age it would not be good to get out as dh has some rank and makes decent money

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Not a military wife, but a military mother....or soon to be on 5/11/07 when my DS#1 graduates from Marine boot camp. I am so proud of him.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My DH retired from the Coast Guard at 23 years ~ he always said when it stopped being fun, he was going to retire and that's what he did. Of course, he didn't go very far ~ he works for General Dynamics as a contractor to the Coast Guard, LOL! He sees all his friends but doesn't have to put up with any of the usual active duty crap ~ so he's a happy camper.

Truth be told, I don't miss the military life at all :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Army wife at Ft Knox here. DH has been to Iraq for 13 months in 2003-04. He only has a year and a half left with stabilization till April and then he won't have enough time left to be sent anywhere. No PCS'ing for us. Yay!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts