Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've become lactose intolerant as a side effect of this pregnancy:) Well, a good portion of what we cook includes something made with milk. Obviously I know I can substitute my milk for cereal with either lactaid or soy milk, but the more I think about it, the more I realized we really eat a lot of stuff you use milk, yogurt, cheese, etc...in. I don't consume very much milk by itself so buying a carton of a substitute for me isn't going to break our budget, but converting the entire family....well I'm open for suggestions. I guess I just need some cooking substitutes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well rice milk and almond milk are also delicious, great in cereal or straight up! My kids really enjoy both, especially flavoured varieties. They'll also drink soymilk boxes. You can use plain unsweetened soymilk in place of milk or cream in cooking. Some brands like Imagine offer 'creamy' soups sans cream (think creamy portobello mushroom soup). Using a healthy margarine instead of butter works most of the time. We've also found great soy and rice versions of cheeses, both of which taste great shredded on a pasta bake or even a homebaked pizza.

I've found as long as I replace my cheese/yogurt snack habits with other protein sources (almonds, walnuts, any and all nut butters) it becomes really easy to not miss dairy. Oh, and we do lots of smoothies with vanilla non-dairy milk of choice, frozen berries and ground hemp seeds. Yum! :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You can find a soy version of any dairy product: soy cheese, soy yogurt, soy cream cheese, soy ice cream, etc. How much you like the taste is a different matter, but it's certainly possible to get all of these things substituted.

I'm lactose intolerant but different types of dairy affect me to varying degrees. It's really just cream that makes me sick, sick, sick.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Dh did pick up some rice milk last night so I could have some cereal this morning:) I've tried a lot of different soy products in the past and some are okay, some are definitely not, lol. I guess we'll broaden our horizons and see what we find. Hopefully this will only be temporary.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Throught my preg I used a quick easy rice milk because i was housebound and couldt get out to store more than once amonth or so , I would make 1c plain white rice run through the blender 4 add 4 c water ;let set overnight and strain out rice bits. Its a lot cheaper than any i see in stores. works just as well if you want you can increase rice quantity or add sugar to sweeten. I love the stuff. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
What about the lactaid pills? I get the big bottles at Costco for not much, and take them as needed. Then again, I don't have milk products that often, and I really only get a reaction from ice cream and cheese.

A blog I read, http://www.ringaroundtherosies.prettyposies.com/, talks about switching over to soy products because the lactose was upsetting her baby's tummy due to breastfeeding... might give you a few tips/ideas

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
What about the lactaid pills? I get the big bottles at Costco for not much, and take them as needed. Then again, I don't have milk products that often, and I really only get a reaction from ice cream and cheese.

A blog I read, http://www.ringaroundtherosies.prettyposies.com/, talks about switching over to soy products because the lactose was upsetting her baby's tummy due to breastfeeding... might give you a few tips/ideas
I have Lactaid pills too just for those times when I could really go for some ice cream. I think though if you are experiencing this now, your body is telling you it doesn't want to deal with it and I think at least during the pregnancy it would be smart to stay away from the dairy.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Throught my preg I used a quick easy rice milk because i was housebound and couldt get out to store more than once amonth or so , I would make 1c plain white rice run through the blender 4 add 4 c water ;let set overnight and strain out rice bits. Its a lot cheaper than any i see in stores. works just as well if you want you can increase rice quantity or add sugar to sweeten. I love the stuff. :)

So it's one cup cooked rice to four cups water? Do you put it in the fridge overnight to set or leave it out?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have Lactaid pills too just for those times when I could really go for some ice cream. I think though if you are experiencing this now, your body is telling you it doesn't want to deal with it and I think at least during the pregnancy it would be smart to stay away from the dairy.
It's really amazing how much better I feel now, but oh how I long for a big glass of milk and a bowl of ice cream, lol. The doctor never said anything about taking lactaid pills. I have digestive issues as it is so this is probably just the icing on the cake:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts