Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I gave DD mini wheat's for breakfast. The ones that are strawberry and blueberry. She never had them before and honest with in five minutes of eating them she freaked out! She started hitting, yelling, pinching, threatening to kill herself. It was bad, she was fine before she ate them happy and chipper then a switch got flipped. I know that kids with ADHD can sometimes just loose it when you ask them to do something but this was awful. The worst she has been in a long long time. Does anyone know if those mini wheat's have caused problems in other kids with ADHD?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Artificial flavorings and colorings have long been considered (back to when I was a child and was diagnosed as "hyperactive") to trigger these kinds of responses in children.

Suggest you avoid such colorful foods in future and go for things containing no artificial flavoring and coloring and see how that goes.

Reactions: Rhiamon

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
There was an article yesterday possibly linking food dyes and ADHD episodes.

Miniwheats ingredients:
WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SUGAR, STRAWBERRY FLAVORED CRUNCHLETS (SUGAR, CORN CEREAL, CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, CITRIC ACID, GLYCERIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED #40, BLUE #2), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL STRAWBERRY AND CREME FLAVOR, SORBITOL, GELATIN, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, RED #40, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1, AND VITAMIN B12. TO MAINTAIN QUALITY, BHT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE PACKAGING.

Allergens
CONTAINS WHEAT INGREDIENTS.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
It's gotta to the point that the FDA has finally admitted there may be a link to artificial dyes and ADHD. Some countries don't even allow it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes! The artificial colors! Research Dr. Feingold! There is a Feingold diet and he has written a book about kids with adhd and the link of diet and it's affects on the child with these disorders. I just recently bought the book and need to read it! My son has Adhd..I try and cut all artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners out of his diet! Diet can be a huge factor in their behavior. There is tons of info online and also your local library! Good luck with your journey!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Artificial colors , artificial sweeteners, and preservatives should be avoided if possible at all costs.

Here is many scientific papers, information,literature and diet, it is called the Feingold diet.

Diet & Behavior: Research on ADD / ADHD

ETA sorry didn't read other posters comments.:)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
There was an article yesterday possibly linking food dyes and ADHD episodes.

Miniwheats ingredients:
WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SUGAR, STRAWBERRY FLAVORED CRUNCHLETS (SUGAR, CORN CEREAL, CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, CITRIC ACID, GLYCERIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED #40, BLUE #2), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL STRAWBERRY AND CREME FLAVOR, SORBITOL, GELATIN, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, RED #40, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1, AND VITAMIN B12. TO MAINTAIN QUALITY, BHT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE PACKAGING.

Allergens
CONTAINS WHEAT INGREDIENTS.
Lol. "contains wheat ingredients" The miniwheats. They have wheat in them. :laugh:

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I third or fourth or fifth or whatever it is up to that it is the dyes in it. I have a child who can't have dyes and we avoid corn syrup and preservatives as much as possible.

Red #40, Yellow #5, and Yellow #6 are the main ones that people react to.

BHT could also be an trigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts