Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pray for us in Louisiana. They have raised the flood stage of the MS river here to 65 feet & the highest on record is 58.4 (I think) in 1937. My house sits about a mile & a half from the river behind a massive levee that we were told would always protect us even in the worst situation. But if a levee breaks north of here, we are screwed. I've talked to my niece about relocating my 82 year old dad. My daughter is far enough away, if she's not at work, that she should be safe. If I'm at work on the Mississippi side, I'm safe. If dh is at work he's safe. If dh & I are at home, we'll have to make a run for it. I've got meds, clothes, cell phone charger in my truck just in case. I hope all other family members have a plan. If a levee breaks, people WILL die. It's looking really scary around here; please pray.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Prayers definitely going out for the levee to hold strong and all where you live to be OK!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Prayers sent. I am glad you are prepared to evacuate quickly if needed. Keep us posted! Hugs

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Will be praying that the levee don't break and everone is alright.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family and of course everyone else in the wake of danger. Daughter is in Tn and she was one of the ones flooded out a couple years ago in Nashville.
Heart going out to all of affected.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to those that are looking at having to flee and those who are already dealing with the major flooding.

I do have a question though...around here we're hearing about them wanting to blow up a levee and flooding farm land in Missouri or Kansas in order to save some towns in Illinois. Would this also help those that are now facing major flooding in Louisiana? I guess this whole levee issue kinda throws me off a bit because I don't entirely understand how it works (I mean, I have a basic understanding of how it works when everything is working properly but beyond that...I'm at a loss).

I'm probably a bit behind here too. I don't often get a chance to watch the news and I only glanced at the levee thing when I saw it a couple days ago...they could have already decided to blow it up or not...I have no idea. Nothing like staying informed, huh? If I had time today I would go look it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live about 20 miles from where they are blowing the levee in Missouri. Supposedly it will help Illinois areas as well as others, not sure how far down though b/c all it is doing is helping to send it on down the river. I just hope the Corp knows what they are doing. They blew the 1st portion of the levee a little after 10 last night (shock waves felt for miles around...it was scary) with 2 more blows to be detinated sometime today. I hope this helps everyone affected and hope that all the surrounding levees hold under all the extra water and force.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Corps of Engineers and WBRZ meteorologist around here are saying it won't reach it's peak until May 21st.
So at least you have some time to prepare.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My prayers go out to you. I was in La. in the 70s when the water was just a few feet from the top of the levee. I lived on the River Road (yes the Mississippi River) so we kept a very close eye on it almost hourly. We did much sandbagging and there were breaches and leaks that had to be stopped but we managed to avert a major tragedy and I pray that the same holds true this year. That river is IMMENSE by the time it gets down to Loo-ze-ana.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Saying prayers for everyone.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, the Missouri levee being blown will not help us as the water eventually re-enters the Miss. River below the area, but above us. They are telling us they feel like the levees will hold, but when you see "in the know" people loading up their stuff, it's scary.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
We were 7 miles from the Mississippi River in '93, and worked on the levees, only to have it break. I understand why people want levees, but I feel that if the river had just been left alone, things might have been better in the long run. I have a friend who lives in south MO and this flooding plus the levee blast has really done a number on her. Glad you are preparing for the worst.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live just north of where they are blasting the levees and I am lucky that the high water doesn't affect my home but where I work is just across the river from Chester, Ill and in 93 when the levee broke the busines where I work and Gilster-May lee were under water for a long time. My husband was one of the ones who helped move things out of Gilster before the water took over and when he was driving one of their semi's out he had to drive through water that was just starting to cross the road.
It was a scary thing. So we are watching the levee again and praying that nothing happens.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Mighty Muddy is still slowly rising, "they" are still telling us "it'll be all right". The 4 lane is a constant convoy of camper trailers, trailers loaded with furniture etc heading across the river to Natchez, MS (the high side). Most of "they" have moved their belongings. There are no storage buildings to be rented in a 75 mile radius. Please keep praying. The Concordia Parish, Louisiana Sheriff's office has set up their mobile command station in our company's parking lot that sits on the edge of the Mississippi River on the Mississippi side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts