Discussion Starter #1
Mock Hollandaise Sauce

Recipe Description
I haven't had Hollandaise in almost 20 yrs, so I don't
remember what it's supposed to taste like, but this
sauce is good regardless.

It's a South Beach Diet recipe and is suitable for all
phases of the diet.

Especially delicious served over asparagus. :)
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
5 min​
Ingredients:
1/4 cup liquid egg
substitute
1 T. Smart Balance
spread
1 teaspoon fresh
lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon
mustard
dash ground red
pepper​
Serves:
1​
Directions:
Directions:

In a 1 cup microwaveable liquid measuring cup,
combine the egg substitute and the spread.
Microwave on low (20%) for 1 minute, stirring once
halfway through cooking, until the spread is
softened.
Stir the lemon juice and mustard into the egg
substitute mixture.
Microwave on low for 3 minutes, stirring every 30
seconds, until thickened. Stir in the pepper.
If the mixture curdles, transfer to a blender and
process on low speed for 30 seconds, until smooth.​

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
If you insist:

Oh, Hollandaise Sauce, you think you're soooo great! So smooth and creamy? Well, HA! Shows what YOU know! I've found a NEW sauce, and it's creamier and tastier than you! So HA! I laugh at you! I MOCK you, Hollandaise!!!!!

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
What a perfect way to start the day - a great recipe and comment by greebo!! Mahalo plenty for both!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Michelle, do you think it would work with real egg and butter? It is asparagus season so inquiring minds want to know!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michelle, do you think it would work with real egg and butter? It is asparagus season so inquiring minds want to know!
Yes, absolutely. I used butter with Egg Beaters today, but I bet it would work just fine with real egg. I ate mine with asparagus this afternoon :yes:

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
If you're going to use real egg and butter just make hollandaise, it's not hard. Of course you can't microwave it, but stirring a bowl over a pan of simmering water is not that much harder. :)

Hollandaise was one of the first things I learned to cook.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Thanks Michelle!!!!!!! MMMMMMMMm Asparagus!

Contrary Housewife~ the only recipe I have has flour. I can't have any of that in any food. Are there flour free recipes besides the one Michelle posted?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Try this recipe, this is real hollandaise, very simple ingredients: Hollandaise Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

The sauce thickens as the egg yolk reacts with the lemon and heat. It must be stirred continuously or you get scrambled egg. In a microwave you would just get something like hard boiled egg yolk. In the recipe above you have margarine and mustard to act as an emulsifier (and in some recipes mayo) so it starts out a little thickened, and you heat up the egg substitute until it thickens as well. Different chemical process going on.

Reactions: nodmicks

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm well I've tried the above recipe using real egg & butter, and it came out fine, but maybe the taste is different than what you'd get from your recipe.

Reactions: nodmicks

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I have yet to try this but I thought egg beaters or other egg substitutes were all egg whites with a bit of yellow dye to make it look 'egg-like'?

I was wondering the same thing...why cant you nuke it?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have yet to try this but I thought egg beaters or other egg substitutes were all egg whites with a bit of yellow dye to make it look 'egg-like'?

I was wondering the same thing...why cant you nuke it?
Egg beaters ARE egg whites (and food coloring for the yellow) along with some other spices, depending on which variety you buy.

You CAN nuke it too lol, but I always pierce they yolk of "real" eggs when I microwave them :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts