Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mock Tuna Salad (Chickpea Salad)

Recipe Description
By Charmed at food.com . If I add enough stuff, my hubby does not realize that it's not tuna - at least, not right away! I cook my own chickpeas from dried, I think the flavor is superior.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
15 minutes​
Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas , mashed (garbanzo beans)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1-2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 green onions , finely chopped
salt
pepper
1 tablespoon finely minced yellow onion (optional)​
Serves:
Directions:
Mix everything together well in a bowl.
Besides the ingredients shown, I like to add chopped celery
Spread on nice bread. Add lettuce, a slice of tomato, and whatever else you like with this type of sandwich.​

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to give this a try.

Bet it would be good with some water chestnuts chopped up in it too, and some cheese to melt in the sandwich maker.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
beans chunky or smooth?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mash until they are smooth - leave a little texture to them. If they were smooth, it would be more like hummus, and you want more of a texture, just as you would have with tuna salad.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I've seen this recipe, but never tried it. I might have to try it. I love chickpeas...

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
We make this all the time. I pulse the chick peas in the processor just until chopped up, but still have texture. I made these sandwiches on homemade bread for my inlaws and that is their new favorite sandwich. They just went on and on about how great they were. On another note, I went to my sister's house on Monday for lunch and a visit and she made a similar sandwich out of cooked cauliflower. My kids actually liked the cauliflower version better. It looked like she just cooked up some cauliflower and chopped it into small pieces, then added the other ingredients as above. Good stuff either way. I am not a vegetarian. I just believe in eating lots of good fruits and veggies and not eating quite as much meat. It's also cheaper! How much do dry beans cost in comparison to a can of tuna fish? Tuna is super expensive any more.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. This might be the first one I try using the dry chickpeas I've had on hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts