Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past several years, the 4-H Club has an annual fair at the living history farm I go to onregular basis. This year, one of the 'vendors' there represented a group that gleans extra food from farms, processes/cleans it, and delivers it to various food banks, religious organizations, and the like for people who don't have access to fresh food. Sometimes the farmers have the food already prepared for pickup. Sometimes they bring in the volunteers, equipment, and anything else needed to harvest/glean the fields themselves. Here's the link:

Farmers Against Hunger - New Jersey Agricultural Society

Do you know of any other organizations like this?

Gleaning is the harvest of leftover produce that doesn't get to market, a sort of second harvest.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there are some organizations like this but they need more recognition. There are some organizations also set up to accept donations of food from gardeners and the like. One group, a crisis ministry, sets up a booth at my local farmer's market every other week or so during the market and accepts donations of both food and money. The money they receive is spent right there at the market to buy produce from the farmers. It benefits both the ministry (who gets fresh food right away) and the farmers (who can make a sale and don't have to take as much back with them).

But the Farmers Against Hunger organization is different in that they go directly out to the farms and will do the harvest if the farmers don't have the time or labor to do it themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts