Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you please tell me how much you paid for a side of beef? Do you get alot of steaks out of the deal? I'm curious cause I want to do the same thing..I just don't know anything about it..How many pounds do you get? Do you think it tastes better than store bought? Please do tell...LOL..

·
Registered
547 Posts
Where are you buying your beef from?, locker, dealer, farmer? Price all depends on who you get it from. Then you have cut and process price on top of how much that side of beef weighs. You will get from 300-400 lbs. from a side of beef. Here it cost $275-$350 to cut and wrap only. You might spend $575-$650 for the side of beef alone, So it could cost you $850-1000 Make sure you talk to who ever cuts it up for you what you want in cuts of meat and what you don't then have put into hamburger. And yes, 99% of the time it is much better then what you buy in stores.
Here my DH fattens 1000's of cattle a year, we never buthcher our own unless something happenst to it, broken leg, prolapse can't fix. Any more we just have it put to hamburger and I give it away to people in the community who I know can use it. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
We buy our beef from a friend who raises them organically. My sister and I split a half about eighteen months ago and paid about 300.00 each for it. We get a mix of stuff--hamburger, roasts, stew meat, etc.-- but it's good lean meat and doesn't cook down to nothing but water and grease like some of the store bought hamburger does.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
For me I get a 1/2 of beef every year from a person. I mostly get hamburger and steaks. It is usually about 300-350 pounds of meat and I pay about a 1.64 for the meat and processing. It depends around the country on the processing chearges. Just make sure that the place is clean.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Oops! Missed your message.

We paid $1.95/lb Canadian with butchering. It was a young animal sooo tender. Ymmy! It was approx 200lbs of meat we got. I opted to have only ground beef and steaks.(prime cuts). Because the person raising them is soon moving and not doing it we'll likely get another side this summer, but I'll get more steak this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts