Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom's Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Recipe Description
A nontraditional mac and cheese that calls for chunks of cheese baked with the macaroni instead of a cheese sauce. My Mom always used whole milk for this but it works equally as well with 2% or a half and half combination of evaporated milk & skim.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
2 hours​
Ingredients:
4 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1/4 cup butter, cut into 1" cubes
1 1/2 pounds colby cheese, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 gallon lowfat milk*
salt and pepper, to taste​
Serves:
8-12 servings​
Directions:
1. Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions. Drain and pour into a deep baking dish. Add cubed butter, cubed cheese, and salt and pepper and mix.

2. Pour milk over all until macaroni and cheese is covered completely by the milk. A half gallon is an estimate, you may need more or less milk depending on the size and depth of the baking dish.

3. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for approximately one and one half hours or until all the liquid is absorbed and casserole is firm.​

·
27,948 Posts
I have a recipe that is similar but uses Velveeta, real cheese like in yours must be awesome. Can't wait to try it.

·
4,028 Posts
Ditto what Darlene said...

I recently made baked mac and cheese with the Mushroom and Leek variety of cheese that Aldi's offers just before the winter holidays. (yeah, I bought 4 of them and they kept very well) hehehehe

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sounds delicious and easy, I may have to break up with Stouffer's Mac & Cheese (coupon or no coupon :)).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This recipe sounds so good!!! Can't wait to try it.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you - can't wait to try this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts