Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
As for the what do I want to be??? I don't have a clue. I truthfully don't have a calling. I like being a sahm really, I mean yes I get bored sometimes but I like this, I just hate worrying about the what ifs living on a one person income. I am super frugal so I don't need to work. We make due fine on my husbands pay and it isn't that much either! I thought about two year programs such as RN but I know I would hate that, then I thought about Occupational or physical therapy assistant. I think could do it but would I like it? I am not sure. I am shy and talking to people that much so hands on scares me, lol. I truthfully enjoyed doing retail as crazy as that sounds. But it pays peanuts and what could I really make outta myself in retail? I know this might sound like an excuse too but I suck at math, I am terrible. I just have a mental block with the stuff. I am great at other subjects but in college you have to take a ton of math no matter the degree. That always holds me back too. So I lean towards the two year degrees but I don't see anything that screams you should be this or that. Maybe I a destined to working in retail. Is that sad?
I've always said the ONE thing I'm good at is customer service...or retail...one and the same. I love it. A suggestion if you don't mind. Quite awhile back I worked at Walmart and loved it. Yeah I know...I'm a freak ... but I really liked working there. I worked nights so I was full time. They have a tendency to have a problem getting overnight help. I had full benefits and at THAT time they were good. I don't know about now. I know full time still has them including life insurance, long term, short term disability, accidental death dismemberment. Several more. Life insurance was available in varying amounts with spouse coverage at 50% of the employees amount. At THAT time if/when you quit you had the option of keeping it privately. You contacted the company and it was changed from payroll deduction to private pay. Do they still do that? I don't know but it's worth a shot.

Something to think about....you could work at say Walmart ( I don't know of other places that do this but I'm sure they exist ) and stay for awhile until you're thoroughly covered time wise at the least. In the meantime you are getting a paycheck. Put it aside in YOUR checking account and don't spend it. Emergency money to pay for the coverage you keep or allowed to keep after you quit. You also get a 10% discount on anything but food while you're there. Again, I don't know about now full time but when I was there and other family members the insurances were fantastic and very very reasonable.

Also Department Managers don't have to have a college degree. Many a cashier or clerk has progressed to Department Manager. Anything above that though does take a degree.

Not wanting to get into the whole Walmart sucks to work for debate on here for others. So lets not go there PLEASE. Just giving a suggestion to someone that loves retail that might work for her. If it hadn't been for hubby being bitchy about working midnights I'd probably still be there.

OH...and at that time full time was 28 hours a week...now I think it's 32...that's 4 day/nights a week.

Reactions: Winkie

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't necessarily think having a degree is the be-all and end-all. However, I do think it is incredibly important that women develop skills and abilities to support themselves, if needed. Unfortunately, in my counseling office, I all too frequently get to see the consequences when women don't have those abilities. :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree that it's super important for a woman to be able to support herself and her kids financially. You never know what could happen down the line. With my husband's medical expenses right now I don't even have the option of not working. I'm glad I continued working and increasing my earning potential after DD was born. We'd be in a huge mess right now otherwise.

·
Registered
412 Posts
From the other side; I'm the breadwinner at the moment, and we are unsure if DH will be able to work again. Because of this we make sure to keep up all of his insurances (disability etc), his student loans are paid off first (and as fast as possible), and I have booked a meeting at the bank this week to discuss how to save for his pension. Planning for his future economy takes priority over planning for mine, since I have a secure job in the public sector, and a pretty good pension plan.

My belief is that a good spouse should think of the other one's future security, especially if the other one for some reason is not making an income. I know some people when they plan for one of them to be a SAHM or SAHF set aside a separate savings account for the one without income, so that he or she is able to make it on their own if something goes wrong. One loving old husband told me that he loved his wife so much that he wanted her to stay in the marriage because she loved him back, not because she couldn't afford to leave. I think their marriage lasted 50 or 60 years.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
From the other side; I'm the breadwinner at the moment, and we are unsure if DH will be able to work again. Because of this we make sure to keep up all of his insurances (disability etc), his student loans are paid off first (and as fast as possible), and I have booked a meeting at the bank this week to discuss how to save for his pension. Planning for his future economy takes priority over planning for mine, since I have a secure job in the public sector, and a pretty good pension plan.

My belief is that a good spouse should think of the other one's future security, especially if the other one for some reason is not making an income. I know some people when they plan for one of them to be a SAHM or SAHF set aside a separate savings account for the one without income, so that he or she is able to make it on their own if something goes wrong. One loving old husband told me that he loved his wife so much that he wanted her to stay in the marriage because she loved him back, not because she couldn't afford to leave. I think their marriage lasted 50 or 60 years.
I just got off the phone with a close friend. She is staying in her marriage for financial reasons. She has worked since she was 18 but basically considered her money "blow money" and has very little in her 401k. She is now in her 50s and found out her husband has been dishonest in more than one way. They have been married for 25 years and she's afraid to leave and afraid to stay. Sad.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts