Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking we could list some things we notice are money wasters.

Glancing around my house, I see a food processor that is still brand new and collecting dust.

Sara

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can give you a list that would be at least a mile long. I have clothes with the tags still on them, I thought I was saving money because I bought them on sale. The only thing is, I have never worn them and it has been a couple of years. <p> The food slicer I HAD to have from the Pampered Chef. I thought I could save time, it takes more time to use. <p> I will stop at just these two so others have room to write. I mean it, I could go on for ever!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2001-08-02 19:28, Blussell wrote:
The food slicer I HAD to have from the Pampered Chef. I thought I could save time, it takes more time to use.
Oh my gosh, I have a food slicer too.

*LOL*

Sara

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2001-08-02 20:23, Blussell wrote:
Ok, then you tell me, am I using the thing wrong? I thought it would cut slicing time. Ugh!
Asking the wrong person. Hubby bought it for me for french fries. It was one major pain, and it hasn't been used, but the one time. *LOL*

Sara

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, here is another one and maybe you can help me with this.... my espresso machine. I bought it so I would not spend $3.30 on a white vanilla mocha everyday at Starbucks , but the mochas I make do not taste the same. Do you or does anyone know how to make a good tasting mocha at home?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2001-08-02 23:20, Blussell wrote:
Ok, here is another one and maybe you can help me with this.... my espresso machine. I bought it so I would not spend $3.30 on a white vanilla mocha everyday at Starbucks , but the mochas I make do not taste the same. Do you or does anyone know how to make a good tasting mocha at home?
Ahhh I want the french vanilla cappucino like in the stores too. The closest I have come is to buying the mixes. Have you bought the flavored syrups and not just the flavored coffee beans?

Have you seen these?
http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/java/recipes.html

http://www.robinsfyi.com/food/coffeerecipies.htm

There are quite a few retailers online for flavored syrups for coffee too.

Sara

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Sara. Yes I have tried the syrups, my problem is no one sells the white chocolate syrup. I need to do so experimenting, but I just have not had the time. When the weather turns cooler, I will make the time. <p> Stacy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if this is true or not, but someone I knew who worked at an espresso place told me that the home espresso machines will never work as well. Her reason was they burn the coffee while the water is heating up enough to create the steam. The professional espresso machines always have steam, it is separate from the part that spouts out the coffee. Some jee wiz info for you.

As for stuff that I buy and don't use? I am afraid to go there!!! I just had a whole yard sale full of it!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
A money waster? Hmmm..... how about the answering machine that replaced the one that got ruined by a storm and doesn't work very well. The other half is ready to take it outside and run it over by the car, but I like the other person's idea better... sell it at a yard sale and maybe get a little bit back to pay for the other one we'd need to buy.

ANYONE have any ideas/suggestions for a good answering machine?

www.zuggyscouponplace.eboard.com

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2001-08-08 22:59, Kay wrote:
sell it at a yard sale and maybe get a little bit back to pay for the other one we'd need to buy.
errrr, I guess I won't be shopping at your yard sale. I don't need a money waster at my house.
mom2tam

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
First of all, in terms of your answering machine question, we use the phone companies call answering service. Yes, it's a certain cost a month, but it never, EVER breaks. Secondly, in terms of money wasters...I petitioned my husband for a breadmaker for Christmas a few years ago. It was all I wanted. I HAD to have it. However, I made bread once, and since then, it's been sitting in the pantry, collecting dust. Same thing with the paper shredder that I HAD to have.

G

·
I bought my husband a telescope for our anniversary last December...it's now August and we've not even used it once. It was way too cold to use it in December. It almost makes it feel like he didn't get a gift for the anniversary.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, the answering machine works... but, not like my old CONAIR 2100 model. I loved that one. Guess I got spoiled by it.

Hey... I'll trade you for your BREAD MACHINE... would use that one daily almost here.

MOM2TAM, gee... I'll have OTHER STUFF at my yard sale, too.... you would love some of the stuff there, too. I'm sure.

www.zuggyscouponplace.eboard.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a digital answering machine that I bought at Wal-mart for $10 on clearance and it works like a charm. I have had it for about 3 years and and never had any problems out of it. It holds up to 50 messsages and theres no tape..yeah!! The only thing that I can think of that I regret putting money into is toys that NEVER, EVER get played with...and the satelite dish that hasnt been turned on in years (we never watched it, we always watched broadcast TV)and the exercise machine that I payed $400 bucks for and it never gets used...its HUGE and it takes up too much space in my bedroom!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The ice cream machine we bought 2 summers ago. After you buy the rock salt, ice cream mix, milk etc it costs $4 for half pint. Screw that, its $1.50 half gallon at Wal Mart and isnt all mushy LOL
I use my bread machine to mix the dough for me since I dont like the way the bread comes out of it. I use it to knead and rise etc all my doughs.
~Michele~

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As far as bread machines go, I wanted one for years, but it simply wasn't a priority. Dh finally bought me one a few months ago. I used it faithfully one to two times per week all winter. I haven't used it over the summer, but I plan to use it again regularly. It's not a money waster in this household. (although not too economical)

Sara

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my bread machine. I have RA and since I like homemade bread, I let it do the heavy work and I do the rest.
My money wasters, thank God I didn't buy them my daddy bought them, include but are not limited to: a curly fry maker; a cookie factory; and a convention oven.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On 2001-08-31 11:15, Pacma wrote:
I love my bread machine. I have RA and since I like homemade bread, I let it do the heavy work and I do the rest.
My money wasters, thank God I didn't buy them my daddy bought them, include but are not limited to: a curly fry maker; a cookie factory; and a convention oven.
hehe curly fry maker. That's a new one for me. I never heard of one before. *LOL*

Sara

1 - 20 of 47 Posts