Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Monsanto's Bt GMO corn to be sold at Wal-Mart with no indication it is genetically modified

Entire article here
Monsanto's Bt GMO corn to be sold at Wal-Mart with no indication it is genetically modified

NaturalNews) Most of the genetically-modified (GM) corn products forced on American consumers today are hidden in processed foods in the form of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), corn oil, corn starch, and various other corn-based additives. But soon to be available at a Walmart near you is Monsanto's Bt sweet corn, the agri-giant's first ever GM corn product made available to consumers as whole ears right on the cob in the produce section-- and like with all other GMOs, neither Walmart nor Monsanto has any intention of labeling this new "Frankencorn."

You can also sign this petition by April 1, 2012, asking Walmart not to stock Monsanto's GM sweet corn:
Food & Water Watch

I signed

·
Registered
108 Posts
If anybody still has questions about the severety of GM product please watch " The World According to Monsanto".
It is a pretty long documentary but worth watching.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
April 1 was the deadline for the petition I get it now for a bit I thought it was being implied it was an April fools joke.

It looks like there were 460,000 signatures by the April 1 deadline

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
I didn't even think about April 1 being April Fool's Day. Sorry, I did not mean to imply it was a joke.

I wonder if petitions, especially electronic ones, do any good in cases like that. I do think it makes a big difference if corporations get letters saying consumers are going to quit buying their products though. It seems to work when TV shows are on that people disagree with, and viewers write the sponsors to complain and threaten boycotts.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I just think it would be nice if they had to LABEL the food so we would know if it contained GMO or not..........ALL FOOD. Then it becomes my choice..........not shoved down my throat, or eaten because I didn't "research" something enough.

Did anyone else see the article about all the "flack" with the Kashi Cereal that is going on??? Some people are super pi$$ed.........I never liked it anyway.....but.......

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
Haven't seen the flap, but I'm always suspicious of food ads that claim to be good for me, even if it's only implied. Companies count on consumers being indifferent suckers.

What annoys me is when I can't find out from reading a label where my food actually comes from. "Distributed by...." some company with HQ in the USA does not cut it. That tells me nothing about the food's country of origin. By [unenforced] law, food labels are supposed to specify country of origin.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Spirit Deer;4111524034 What annoys me is when I can't find out from reading a label where my food actually comes from. "Distributed by...." some company with HQ in the USA does not cut it. .[/QUOTE said:
:tay: YES!!! I agree......and just discovered that "probably" the shrimp that I have been consuming probably came from Thailand and FARM RAISED......which I don't like!!

This is the article I got in an email about the Kashi........

Green Consumers Deluge Kellogg's Kashi With Pesticide Concerns

(didn't want to 'hijack' the thread.......)

I subscribe to their emails...........but I am pretty much, a 'news junky',.........so I enjoy them. They also give a small list of recalls......and I have caught a couple dog items on it that affected me directly.

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
Fish and seafood seems to be labeled better than other foods as to country of origin.

We quit buying those little shrimp rings because of country of origin. If we buy seafood these days, it has to clearly say PRODUCT OF USA on it. We'll pay extra for that. I hope we're not just throwing money away, because there's no way to really know where something comes from or what conditions it's been raised in.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
because there's no way to really know where something comes from or what conditions it's been raised in.
I don't care what country........I don't want farm raised.
Just "my thing"......and I don't know why I am so picky.....if someone offered me a fish caught in our local water I probably wouldn't take it.........I know how polluted they are!! And rumor has it that we have some beautiful trout. I'll pass.........

But the show I was watching said that "probably" anything coming from Thailand is farm raised. UGH!

But couple weeks ago was watching something about things labeled "wild caught" might not be so either..............

And the more global we become with our food supply.......the more likely we will be to eating a bunch of crap!! The all-mighty bottom line will have more importance than keeping the consumer safe and making the choice that THEY want to make.

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
A lot of fish is labeled if it's wild caught or farm raised, which IMO is helpful.

All fish is tainted due to acid rain. The joke around town here is that you can tell the temperature by some fishing guides, because they've eaten so many fish from the local lakes, which all have mercury in them. Yet our lakes up here are considered drinking-water pure. There's no escaping it.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
A lot of fish is labeled if it's wild caught or farm raised, which IMO is helpful.
But that is what this show was saying.........the grocer is not always "truthful" in the labeling.........and they did a whole segment on how the restaurants were ripping people off with fish types.......selling you some crap kind and labeling it a more $ kind.

Ours are usually labeled for wild or farm raised too............if it is the truth.

I hadn't even though about the canned stuff.......tuna, shrimp, etc. DUH!!!!

Fake Fish: Experts Say Mislabeling of Seafood Is Real Problem - ABC News

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
That's why I'm getting more and more turned off by foods that haven't come from my own hands. It's practically impossible to avoid eating some though, so my goal is to eliminate as many hands as possible touching our food. IOW, the less processed, the better. Every step in the process for processed foods is another opportunity for contamination of some kind. So the less processed before it gets to me, the happier I am about it.

I admit right up front we'll probably never be purists on this topic though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts