Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, Happy Mother's Day everyone!!

What are your plans? I already put in a request for French toast for brunch. I told dh I would like to go shopping tomorrow for a few items. I will either get a humming bird feeder and food, or a dvd "Phantom of the Opera", or a few outdoor plants. Dunno which i want more so I am going to have to think carefully about it. I have a gift card i can use. ;) I would like to go nutty and get all of those things, lol, but there isn't enough on the card rofl. i have five dead trees that i planted last year that i need to replace, I am sick of looking at dead trees, it is just depressing. so most likely i will get those.

What do you have planned?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Well I am torn......and would like your advise. I am torn between what I feel I should do and what I want to do.

In the morning we will attend church and then in the afternoon.....I should go and spend it with my SiL (she asked me and I said I would)......and have somesort of dinner (nothing special)....because she is divorced and her teen son won't do anything For her !!!!!!and she will feel depressed because he won't..... But then I get to listen to her go on and on like she always does and then it ruins my Special Day.

Or......I could do what I want to do which is go to two very special plant nurseries (which are like gorgeous free gardens) that are hosting free Mother Day teas. I won't buy a thing but I would love to go and look and I know my children would enjoy attending with me too. I thought of inviting my SiL but she doesn't garden and teen son would make us all miserable by saying it was BORING or by refusing to go at all, which would upset his mom etc....

I spent today with my Mom and she came with me to watch my son play in the orchestra and daughter perform her own composition.....So tomorrow I won't be with her. So what do I do? What would you do?

Rosi

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Happy Mother's Day to you too and to all the mom's here at the village!
It's nearly over here now but I had a lovely card and flowers from my son and daughter-in-law plus some money to buy something. I'll probably get a DVD next time I go to the shops!

Julia

·
Registered
149 Posts
We're supposed to go see the Red Sox in Boston today, but the weather doesn't look good at all :(
The whole family has been so excited about this for awhile. We were supposed to leave early this morning to avoid traffic but because last nights game was rained out, they're having a double header today and our game is the second game. So we have to get there when everyone is leaving the first game. It sounds like a big traffic nightmare to me :(
And if the games don't get rained out, it's still gonna be cold and windy :(
Just gonna have to wait and see, I guess

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Well, I had a lovely day.

My Hubby took me out to dinner, gave me a card & $25.00.

After dinner we went home & all the Kids came for cake & coffee.

Our oldest Son gave me a Burl Clock he made...beautiful.

Our youngest Son & Family gave me a Book & a Candle.

Our Youngest Daughter & Family gave me some Viola's to plant in the garden.

And last but not least..Sweetie Deed & Jack gave me some new Kitchen Towels-Oven Mitt-Potholders.............AND Deed made me a Mother's Day cake...Chocolate with peanut butter frosting & sprinkles

Oh yes & received many beautiful cards & a phone call from our Daughter who lives out of state.

All in All it was a wonderful Mother's Day.

Thanks to my Kids.

:D :D

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Well, my day turned out much better than I expected. We went to church - my last day to work in the baby room as a paid worker! DH and DDs took me to lunch at a new Mexican restaurant, and it was yummy! The wait staff was so nice to the girls, and they gave me a pink carnation.

We got home and DD#2 and I took a nap while DD#1 and DH watched some horror flick I didn't approve of. They both ended up napping before it was over.

The girls went outside and played in the sprinkler and the blow up pools. DH had tilled and limed my garden yesterday, so I put my plants in.

Dh grilled pork chops, and made rice and brussels sprouts and we ate outside. Oh, and he fixed my garden bench ( a disaster I bought from Big Lots which was never quite right), and stained it . I got my foountain working, so I sat outside on my bench, watched the girls, and called my Mom.

DD#1 gave me sunflower plants in a pot she painted at school and made bugs on with her thumb prints. DD#2 made a cute little "Why I love mommy" book at church.

All in all it was a good day.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry hollihill that i didn't get back to this thread sooner. What did you end up doing??

I got the privelage of spending the day with MIL...my eye is twitching. and "red rum" keeps repeating over and over in my skull.

DH made a brunch of french toast, eggs, sausage, and bacon.We went shopping and i got myself five trees to replace the dead ones out in the yard.

we went to church, the guest speaker was wonderful but made us cry like loonies. Church gave the moms roses.

but to be honest thanks to MIL today was crappy punctuated by fleeting moments of good points. Hard to focus on the good stuff, but I am trying desperately to.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hi Missy

I ended up going to SiL's. So I did the "right" thing rather than the "me"thing I wanted to do! We had burgers. My nephew nearly had my son in tears because he kept promising him a turn on the computor game he was playing and my son waited patiently the whole time. Finally just as we were leaving he told my son NOW it was his turn!!!!. My son was very upset he said he wished we hadn't come. I told him it wasn't my first choice either but some times we have to do things out of "duty".

The rest of the day was fine. At church my son gave me a nice framed painting and my littlest daughter gave me a mug planted with marigolds. My eldest gave me a lovely decorated basket. So I was blessed. I also had one church member give me a bag of clothes for my 13 year old daughter and another give me a box of clothes for my son! Another asked if my 13 yr old would like a boombox she was giving away!

Then after lunch my Dh took me out for a coffee and desert. It was only $6.50.

Then we went to Sil's and I spent my time trying to keep the atmosphere positive......

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Do any of you have special plans for the day? Do you spend the day with your children or your mothers/mils (or both)?

I don't know what we're doing this year because 1) it's also my birthday that day and 2) this is the first year my Mother has been here to celebrate with (just moved back to MA from PA).

I guess I better get brainstorming on this one because we always spend the day with my MIL, so we'll need to do something different to include my mother too.

I'm looking for ideas :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
It happens to me my dad's 83rd birthday...my mom passed away 8 years ago, so me and my son are going to spend the day spoiling my dad!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I was thinking about inviting the women in my family & DMIL to a Mother's day brunch prepared by me and served on my Grandmother's china!

I haven't decided on the menu yet, but something very yummy and frugal. Maybe a breakfast casserole and salad? Muffins or waffles? Some dollar store frozen berries and hot tea?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I was thinking about inviting the women in my family & DMIL to a Mother's day brunch prepared by me and served on my Grandmother's china!

I haven't decided on the menu yet, but something very yummy and frugal. Maybe a breakfast casserole and salad? Muffins or waffles? Some dollar store frozen berries and hot tea?
Hmm good idea...I could do that too. Then again, it would be like me doing Easter all over again, and I still haven't recovered from that :laughinghard:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Boy I understand that! That's why I was thinking about foods that could be premade and ready to go. If I make a breakfast casserole I just have to get it ready the night before and pop it in the oven before they get here. Waffles & muffins can be made weeks ahead of time and frozen, I can just reheat them. Berries can be thawed the night before and put in a pretty compote dish. Salad and homemade dressing the day before. The only thing I'd have to make on Mother's Day is the hot tea. Heck I can even set the table the night before!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Mothers' Day - the one day I indulge myself. I decided about ten years ago what the perfect 'day off' would be like and here's what I came up with.

On Mothers' Day, NO ONE is allowed to ask me to make ANY decisions. That's right, I don't decide what anybody wears, what we eat, what we do or anything else. It makes my family aware of how many times per day I am asked to answer questions and decide things that they could figure out for themselves!

It is almost naughty how much pleasure I derive from the day. They really are squirming by bedtime!!

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Resting! My twin boys will be born around May 7 (hopefully they bake that long!) so I probably won't even remember my first Mother's Day!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Apparently I'm not allowed to start a new thread with an old theme. . . so I'm bumping up this one.

Any plans for Mother's day 2012?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I take over the tv!!! I never get the remote. And, I live with all males who only want to watch "boy" stuff. So, we watch girly movies all day long.

Hmmm... I need to sit and ponder over my list for this year.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I think I will go to my parent's gravesite. Dad has been dead for some time and mom has been gone 5 years this month. I have only been to the gravesite a couple of times. Maybe I am ready.

Probably ride there with hubby on our Harleys. Then go for a spin and blow the tears away.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Mothers' Day - the one day I indulge myself. I decided about ten years ago what the perfect 'day off' would be like and here's what I came up with.

On Mothers' Day, NO ONE is allowed to ask me to make ANY decisions. That's right, I don't decide what anybody wears, what we eat, what we do or anything else. It makes my family aware of how many times per day I am asked to answer questions and decide things that they could figure out for themselves!

It is almost naughty how much pleasure I derive from the day. They really are squirming by bedtime!!

I'm liking Mary's idea more and more. I can just imagine the absolute shock and dismay if I decided this is what I wanted. None of the guys here do frugal gifts well at all, but I just may insist. In fact this last year my DH's answer to every holiday, or special day was, "We are broke. There's nothing to be done about that, so oh well. No gifts. No reason to celebrate. We will just move on, period" We've started this year exactly the same, I did hear happy birthday from him, nothing else.

I just may be sorry if this is what I say I want. Wanna start taking bets that I'll be eating PB & J and watching whatever sport is on TV that day?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts