Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Mothers Day coming up, I was just wondering what everyone does for Mothers Day?

In the past, I have always sent my mother flowers. Usually because I was out of the country. This year I am not sending her anything, per her request. Well, she always told me not to send anything, to SAVE my money, but I always did anyway, but this year I do not have the 50 bucks to spare.... so the kids and I are making handprints with finger paint, and that will be her present. (I am going to make a scrapbook page from them... I made her a scrapbook for Christmas, so this will just be another page she can add into it)

As far as my kids, they REALLY want to 'BUY' me something, so I was thinking about taking them to the Dollar Store and giving them $2 dollars to go pick some trinket thing out.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well, this year I got my mother something different because her husband always gets her flowers so I got her a primitive candle holder in a enamelware pot, the candle holder is an old wooden spool and there are pip berries around the base, I also got her a small figurine that says "Mom, you make the world a happy place." I put it so it's sitting in the enamelware bowl.

As for what we are doing, probably grilling out here and going to invite my mom over for some food, music and just hanging out. :)

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I have my mom, my mother in law and Zac's step mom to buy for. So far this is the rundown of what we are doing:

My mother: book called women knows everything, little photo album about grandmothers, a little book called like mother like daughter, and a purse size estee lauder perfume sample that I got free. Also going to stock up on some of Barnes and Nobles bargain books since she will be in the hospital the day after Mother's Day for a tumor on her back.

Mother In Law and Step mother are also getting books, probably a small plant iwth them.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
A card for my oulaw from the kids and nothing for my mom. we dont talk, and wont go there lol

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We all go out for lunch- my mom, MIL and FIL, daughter ,SIL and family, our oldest son.We have a great time together, and look foward to it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
My Fiance and DS will take me out to lunch for Mothers day.
My son bought me a present also.
Dfiance needs to get his mom a card and sent out by tomorrow...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Traditionally, my family has been having family reunions on Mother's Day since before I was born. We haven't been in forever. My church does baby dedications on Mother's Day so that is where we will be instead :) (and it's where we were last year as well)

I got some canvas tote bags and let Grace "paint" them with fabric paint - I made sure there was at least one hand print on each bag LOL ... they aren't really pretty but they were a blast to make and will hopefully be useful to her grandmas and great grandma :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Oh, and I told DH that I don't want anything for Mother's Day (except maybe some time alone) :)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I bought a little pot that says "thinking of you" I might give my mom a tiny plant. Or I could go buy a pot and have my DD put handprints all over the pot. The first one would be cheaper, the second one would be cuter.

katy

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oh, and I told DH that I don't want anything for Mother's Day (except maybe some time alone) :)
DITTO.

And a nice hot bath!
:bath:

We're having my mom/mother in law and respective families over for meals, one the day before and the other day after mother's day. This is making my grocery budgeting for the month even more difficult than usual...

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
As far as gifts go we will get/or have already gotten....

My mom - a variety of things for her kitchen and garden from Linen's 'n Things (silicone pot holders, stainless steel "soap", garden gloves, really nice flower pot, etc...)

MIL - a statue for her backyard or a rose bush to plant

My step-mom - some flowers and a gift card to go out to eat

DH and I do not do mom's day/dad's dat gifts for each other or from the kids.

My family will all get together at my mom's house for lunch but we won't go. I do not like family get togethers so we will probably either go to Georgia or Florida for an overnight trip.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My Mom likes to go out to eat and have us all get together so that's what we've been doing for her. For me, I usually get a homemade something from dd and my siblinngs pay for me and dd when we go out to eat with Mom.

I also try and give my Mom something like a music cd, dvd or a plant or clothes if I can find anything I think she might like. And of course, a card. This year I have a music cd for her.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
My mother passed away almost 3 years ago, I send my MIL a card. DH and DD usually take me to the beach for the day and out to eat for Mother's Day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts