Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, but how many mothers do we have here at FV that are mothers of large families.I know that Joyofsix will be having her 7th soon...other than that, I'm beginning to feel that I'm alone with 10. Anyone else?????????

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I raised 6 childern 4 I gave birth to and 2 I was given by the state of Ca. My sisters 2.
Fern

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well we dont have 10... but we have 7 kids and the 2 of us, plus the 2 dogs, if we count us all up we're at 11 but otherwise as far as those living here with us, it's only 5 + 2 dogs.... step-daughters dont live with us but yes we are all family :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I only have 3 but my parents had 9 children so I do know what it is like to have a large family. My dad is a over the road truck driver, so my mother basically did all of the child rearing and my dad just did the financial help. He never changed a dirty diaper, never got up in the middle of the night as he was not home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 6.
4 girls
2 boys

My mother-in-law has 13.

When I was working outside the home, I heard all kinds of comments about "overpopulation", etc.... when others knew I had 6. I pretty much stopped letting people know how many I have, just so I wouldn't hear about it. It's nice to know others have larger families also.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have 6.
4 girls
2 boys

My mother-in-law has 13.

When I was working outside the home, I heard all kinds of comments about "overpopulation", etc.... when others knew I had 6. I pretty much stopped letting people know how many I have, just so I wouldn't hear about it. It's nice to know others have larger families also.
I can't believe someone could be so cold as to say such a comment to you :(

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have four...two boys and two girls. I would also like to adopt.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's wonderful to hear that ppl have large families. If DH had a profession (he's military) where we could stay in one spot for a long time, I'd like to have a large family. I've noticed that with larger families, everyone seems to be more tight-knit, which I love.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
catmom, I know where you're coming from...we've heard it all too...people can be so horrible.
But then there are wonderful people too that have come up to me & were really encouraging(after hearing the ugly comments, these people were like a breath of fresh air:))
I think the rudest comments were when we used to live in Wisconsin...we only had 6 when we moved. Now we're in Texas & I hear more positive remarks than negative when I'm out with the family.

I don't know what it is with comapnies, though.....around Christmas 2005, my dh was fired after 8 1/2 yrs with a company. The company moved new people into higher up positions & they didn't like people that valued their families over their increasingly intrusive maniacal demands....so they started finding any little excuse to get rid of the employees who refused to sacrifice their family time.
We went through 6 months of unemployment ..while expecting #10.lol..
...but everyone here pulled together & we made it....dh has another job....doesn't pay as much as the other one, but we're all alot better off for it.
as far as overpopulation...my own opinion is that its a bunch of BS...I don't let it get to me when people try to tell me that I'm killing the planet for having alot of children.
I would never go up to a perfect stranger & tell them..."you should have a dozen kids b/c yaddah yaddah yaddah".....I don't, b/c I respect their freedom to make their own decisions for theirselves & their families(if they have any).
I mind my own business....and I think that it is a sad thing when people lack self-discipline and they don't mind theirs.
Catmom...just ignore the rudeness of others...don't let them get to you. You go have your family...these people are to be pitied b/c they do not realize all of the joys that they are missing out on. Hang in there:)hugs

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I only have 2 as does both my brother and my sister. However I was raised with a big family around as my mother is one of 16. I would have loved to have had more. I lost 2 and then my health went down hill so I am thankful for the two healthy ones I do have.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have 6. We probably would have had more if we would have had the first 3 a little closer together. I work full time and life in our house is crazy to say the least, so we opted to not have more. Although, we have thought about being foster parents after the little ones get in school, so ya never know how many more we could add to our house.

Reactions: Jessesbride

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have 6.
4 girls
2 boys

My mother-in-law has 13.

Just tell them you're trying to help out your Canadian neighbors...our national average population density is 8 people per square mile. ;) We need all the help we can get!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yep, I'm expecting #7. I would love to have more, but age may get in the way. Of course, who knows what God may have planned. I've had the rude comments about using all the world's resources too. I usually tell them we're just trying to outnumber the idiots.

Reactions: Jessesbride

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JoyofSix....LOL...I totally agree w/you:) My dh has told rude people..."well....25 yrs from now, there will be more of us than there will be of you - we're breeding out the idiots".

He has a tshirt that the kiddos made him that says "Proud Father Of Ten"...and it has a set of handprints from each child all over it with their names under the prints (the baby has his little feet prints b/c it was easier working w/ the fabric paint).
Anyway, when we are out and he's wearing that shirt, I have to smile as I watch people reading his shirt & looking at the names, etc.

Some people have asked us if it was really true that we had 10 kids....others smile & compliment about the shirt...others just shake their heads & walk on:) hehe.

Like you, I would love to have more...i have a friend that had her 9th child when she was 45 & know of a few more ladies that were 47 & 48 when their youngest was born.
Whatever God has planned for us is fine w/me. My desire is to have at least 2 more...but if that's not part of the plan, then I'm okay w/it.

Joy ofSix...what state or country are you from?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm 44 so we'll just have to see, maybe I'll have surprise triplets. Well, maybe not. I'm in Indiana, where large families are thin on the ground unless you are Amish. I've heard Tx has quite a few larger families. They do everything big in Tx, LOL

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
everything is big in Texas?? the only things that are enormous here are the insurance and the electricity rates.lol

but yeah, I have noticed that there are more large families here.When we use to live in Wisconsin, I knew of only one large family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 14 kiddos, I am 37 and oreggo with #15.

Hi Joyof7 :) How are you.

Christi

·
Registered
763 Posts
We have 6, 3 boy's and 3 girl's and although I have never heard anyone critisize us over our large family, thats probably a good thing as I would most likely knock them out cold!!
I have heard many comments along the lines of, " Wow, 6, how do you do it?" But no bad comments!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
We only have two, but I grew up in a very large family. My mom and dad had six together. When he and my mom divorced he married a woman who had 5 children already and then they had 6 more. My dad has since remarried and they have 3. Not quite the same thing, but keeping track of everyone is insane.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts