Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
Great article CJ! It really touches close to home for me.

This morning I was given the most precious gift ever. Ds#1 who is 19 received is college marks in the mail. He earned wonderful marks; four A+ and two A. No, his marks were not my precious gift. The gift was my six foot tall son smiling down at me and thanking me for homeschooling him and giving me a huge hug. :D

A little history...We started homeschooling him in grade three and as much as we knew this was the best choice for him, it was a difficult few years. He was a very reluctant learner. There was absolutely no joy in learning for him. He hated school and for the first while, he made life very stressful. I was also teaching ds#2 kindergarten and had a toddler to contend with.

After some trials and errors on my part, I came across an article similar to CJ's link. Dh was fully supportive and we started working on character adjustments; ds' and mine. Slowly things improved. Ds was and still is strong willed but we worked through many problems and we both grew. Sure, we still had many head-butting sessions but now I can look back and see that they were so worth while. School work was always hard for him and he needed a lot of my help to keep him on track. Sometimes I wanted to give up, but dh says I'm just as stubborn as ds, and I kept pulling him along. Every year we saw improvement in his character development as well as his school work.

When he went to college part time at 16 he surprised me with good marks. I always knew he could accomplish anything he wanted, it was his motivation I was a little worried about.

This was his first year in full time classes. He knew what he wanted and he worked hard to reach his goals. I am so proud of him. :D

Sorry for the novel. I just want to encourage you and tell you "You can do it!!!" When you're having a bad day, remember it will get better and one day your grown child will come up to you and give you huge hug and thank you for all you did for them.

Thanks for letting this proud mamma brag!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strawberry, thanks for sharing this wonderful accomplishment. What a testimony to homeschooling and congratulations to both you, your dh and your son.

You have every right to be proud!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts