Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening I was finishing up some towels in the dryer. I glanced down and out of the corner of my eye I see a mouse just around the edge of the dryer. (I've lived in the same location for over 10 years and have never had a mouse at all in the house).

This mouse didn't run, it just sat looking at me. It was freaky looking and scared me. I thought maybe it was rabid? It just sat there, I could see it's tail moving.

I hopped up on the washer, no easy feat, and called my son from my cell that was in my pocket. By this time I'm in tears I'm so afraid and in hysterics.

DS comes tearing over to help bringing a friend. They let themselves in. I yell for them to be careful as I think it may have rabies.

He sneaks a peek grabbing a yardstick along the way. Gives that mouse a whack... looks.... and says "What the ....". Looks again, bends down, picks it up. I'm screaming and he starts laughing.

It's a ball of lint from the dryer with a strand of yarn (the tail) sticking out the back.

They laughed for 10 minutes. I will never live this down. He says he can't wait to tell his friends how he rescued me from the rabid mouse in my house.

I am so embarrassed. Has anyone else ever done anything so moronic?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
:crackup: Sorry. But it is funny! (((hugs)))

I'm one of those people who isn't afraid of critters, bugs or snakes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
LMAO! I'm sorry you were so terrified but that was absolutely hilarious!
And yes, I have done something similar...

My daughter absolutely adores frogs and toads. I absolutely abhor them. Everyone knows the best way to bring me to hysterics is to bring a frog or toad near me.

So, DH and I were cuddling on the couch, watching tv, when my precious little girl comes running over to us with cupped hands and says "Look at the frog I found!"

I IMMEDIATELY start backing away her as far as I can (which isn't very far as I was inhibited by the back of the couch and all) and shrieking ''GEDDIT AWAY! GEDDIT AWAY! GEDDIT AWAY!" I mean, I nearly plow over my poor husband and go off the back of the couch, trying to get away from the antagonistic amphibian.

My husband looks at me as though I've lost my mind (understandably) and says in the calmest of voices "It's fake."

DOH!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've always wondered, those of you who ARE afraid of critters, is it because you watched a parent's reaction who was afraid? I'm truly curious.

I had a co-worker tell me that her brothers used to torment her when she was little by scaring her with bugs and that's why she was afraid.

This could make for an interesting research project for college. :)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I am trying to figure out how freaked you would have been had you run into the situation I did a few months ago, when what I *thought* was a moth flitted by my head in the bedroom. Turned out it was a bat. It took me a good 45 minutes to catch the poor little thing, and that meant 45 minutes in a small room with a winged rodent flying straight at me, sometimes landing on me, and generally swooping around randomly in ways that made you picture it getting caught in your hair. I did learn that bats, unlike most small birds, do NOT tire in a few minutes if you keep them flying. They are like little Energizer bunnies. I finally trapped him by turning the lights on (as it was dawn, but not yet totally light), so he'd seek out a dark hidey hole, then putting a bird net over him when he did. Set him free outside and thanked him for eating the mosquitoes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh I'm sorry but both of those stories are funny!

Poor lint ball just sitting there all innocent and fluffy. :)

I don't think my little brother is afraid of frogs/toads any more but I used to chase him around with them all the time when we were kids! Yup, I am a mean big sister!

Oh thank you for the giggles! I needed that!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Madhen...

I wouldn't have freaked but the rest of the people in my house probably would have!

And then I could have gone over to all my neighbors and totally freaked them out pretty good too! :)

Tennis rackets work pretty good too.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
OMG...........onegirl..........that was just tooooooooo much!!! I needed the laugh.......just sorry it had to be at your expense....:laugh: (well, okay, not really--------but it sounded good!!)

I've always wondered, those of you who ARE afraid of critters, is it because you watched a parent's reaction who was afraid? I'm truly curious.:)
But some things you just need to be 'leery' of.......if not afraid..........like bats!!

I don't particularly like spiders but can squish them with no problem. Reason: #1 -- years ago I was knocking down the ones that grow huge by the end of the summer, live up under the roofline of a house, and one fell on me! #2-- fast forward a few years-- --was asleep, felt something crawling on me---on my FACE---woke up, grabbed and tossed.......and it was one of those long legged house spiders that come in each winter. THAT gives me the creeps just to re-think about!!

I have stomped on a mouse and killed it. And not really afraid of snakes though they do give me a 'start' when I see one. When you have lived in 'rattler' country you are cautious around any of them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That mouse story is beyond funny!! You and your Son will always have this memory and I suspect it will just get funnier and funnier with time. :)

BTW - I hope you told him how brave he was for facing the lint monster!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
What I wouldn't give to have been a mouse in the corner watching all this play out.:D I'm just glad your son was there and you didn't have to call animal control. Thanks for the laugh and glad you have a sense of humor.

Cat

·
Registered
339 Posts
ok i have a gross one..lol

my first son was just crawling around on the floor..we were at my parents..goofin as usual...and the kitty little boxer used to be in the corner of the dinning room..(not anymore) and we were sitting around the table..laughing and joking and then my dad turns to me and says OMG jaysons got cat poop in his mouth..i FREAK..i see brown all over his mouth i thought he was going through the cat litter box and eating poo..im screaming and my dads laughing saying its candy im just teasing...lol

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Rabid lint mouse!!! That is just hilarious!! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Snakes I can deal with. I live in the south so bugs and creepy crawlers are a way of life. But, mice or rats send me running. I think it was the surprise of seeing the lil lint mouse that got me so worked up. I'm normally a very calm person but I've been thru 2 weeks of stress and this just added to it. I can laugh now but at the time... not so much.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Hahahahaha! I am rolling over here!

My younger brother got off work one night and as he was coming in the house, he bent down to pet our cat that was laying on the sidewalk. Yep, wasn't a cat. It was an opossum.
He screamed like a little girl.

One morning I woke up (I was a teenager) and didn't have my glasses on. As I was walking through the dining room I see this weird blob on the carpet. So I hop over it. Then as I was trying to figure out what it was, I bent down. It STARTED FLOPPING! IT WAS A BIRD! My cat had brought in a bird and it was still living!

·
Registered
62 Posts
while i feel your pain, i can't help but laugh at your story! and i'm so sorry for that! LOL

it was the morning of my BD, i was just wandering into the kitchen to refill my coffee cup and then go to the table in the alcove and ponder life......and a danged >>starts with an R, larger than mouse<< ran RIGHT PAST MY BARE FEET in my own freakin' KITCHEN! i sprinted to the stool, giving my patented three octave rodent alarm call and then yelled for DH.

he didn't seem nearly as concerned...it's like no wait you don't get it, it MUST be removed. he's like, how am i supposed to find it Tess? you could start be LOOKING? so my terror subsides and now i'm taking some folded laundry to the spare bedroom and dang if something in the corner doesn't move. WHILE giving my 3 octave yell i also leap into the air and backwards, sure i covered a good ten feet and landed on the bed, still holding the laundry.

DH comes in with the dogs this time (these same GREAT dogs that can tree squirrels, chase cats, and various other critters OUTSIDE failed to notice they had one INSIDE???) and the chase is on. blasted thing came running right towards me again, so me and the laundry flew to the couch in the living room. flipping thing escaped.

so i'm nagging at DH to GET IT and he's like what do you want me to do Tess? what do i want you to do??? well first the only purpose for having men around is pickle jars and rodent removal and i'm not in the mood for a pickle right now so your sole purpose on the planet is now eliminate the rodent, get the #@$#!#!!!! out of my [email protected]#@#!! house! put on the cammo gear, grab the rocket launcher and KILL IT.

he said i made too big a deal out of it. i don't see how that's possible to make TOO big a deal out of vermin scampering about. don't know where it went. he did finally get some traps and stuff. no idea how it got in. while i'm sure that if it had expired in the house we'd notice the smell i am still very cautious about what i move around and lift because i'm sure the dang thing will leap out at me again!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.