Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems a little funny but.. DH and I are considering a move to the other side of our city.. it would split the driving distance to work. DH currently drives over an hour.. I drive about 20 minutes. The move would make DH's drive 30 minutes and mine about 45 minutes. Out DD and DS would go to school with my DH.
My concern is about moving with the kids. My DD is in school now and has made wonderful friends.. I have also become friends with the moms. DD is VERY sensitive child, and we are concerned about her making friends again.

Anyone ever made a move like this?

·
Registered
616 Posts
It seems that you really won't be much ahead as drive-wise as your total commutes will add up to just 5 minutes less if you move. You will not be saving much in gas/time etc. Are there some sort of other benefits to moving such as nicer neighbourhood, better house prices etc? Moving is very expensive, stressful and a ton of work (for you). If your kids are well settled into their schools my inclination would be to leave things as they are if you are worried one of the children would have difficulty adjusting. That being said, I moved when my DD was going into the 4th grade. She settled in just fine. She is pretty quiet (but I would not describe her as sensitive) and was able to make new friends just fine. She ended up switching schools in grade 5 to go to a special enrichment program. She had no difficulty settling in again. We moved within the same city because we wanted a better neighbourhood and school area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We recently moved as well with our sensitive,shy kid. Our daughter is always slow to join in but has fun once she does. That being said we drove to many school sports functions where she wouldnt leave the car-I didnt push it and eventually she came round. The nice thng about kids is their ability to adapt and their resiliency . However--we did turn down a nice promotion because we decided the move would be too much. She is settled now with good friends and the school is wonderful. I dont envy you this decision at all but you know your children best and you will make the best decision for them. !!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
We moved in '05 but stayed in the district as our 2 oldest DD's are in high school. I can't imagine anything worse than pulling kids from high school and moving. We are in the next town over. We moved to get a bigger house.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We moved from the inner city to a suburb 15 miles away when my DS#1 was 18, and DS#2 was 14 years old. My 18 year old was going to be attending college in that city so my parents offered to let him stay with them, he didnt want to move to as he put it the middle of nowhere. My 14 year old was entering high school. when we moved. He attended a private elementry school, and had chosen to attend a private high school in the city .None of his friends had chosen that school, so he was going to a school where he wouldnt have known anyone anyway. DS#2 made friends at the new high school, and has a large circle of friends. He also kept in touch with most of his friends from the city. At the begining I was driving him to the city a couple of times a week. As time went on he got more involved with friends/school in the burbs, the trips became less and less. He has 2 friends that he still sees frequently from the city. Now he only goes once a week or so to see my mother, and DS#1. I think what made DS#2 transition easier, was that there is only 1 high school in town, but a couple of middle schools, so everyone in his class was changing schools. Although we could have moved in March, we chose to wait until after school was over for the year. That give DS#2 to make a couple of neighborhood friends, so when school began in sept. he did have a couple of friends.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
mcphillips - if your dd is truly that sensitive i wouldnt riskit. its true kids are resillient and adapt easily but you mentioned that shes very sensitive. have you thought of moving once the school year is over? that way not only is she starting a new grade but with a new school, kinda like a fresh start mentality?

just a thought.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
We are military and moved alot. Even moved our kids when ods was a going to be a junior in h.s. He has made lots of new friends. Kids adjust

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We wouldn't plan on moving in the middle of the school year. Where we live is more country like, and our family enjoys the setting. Chances are we would move into a house that is smaller than the one we have now because the housing prices are higher. My DH is a teacher, but he does a lot of after school activities and sometimes doesn't get home until almost 6pm... not a big deal except that he is out the door at 6 am to drive the hour ten minutes to work. I am also a teacher, but do not generally have after school activities and would be home by 4:30.
This is a tough decision which may take us a year to resolve. We like our home..we built it ourselves... but we like being together too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts