Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too feel like I am at a crossroads, and don't know which way to turn.

I have a couple of manuscripts typed up ready for a printer, but am terrified to print them. One of them I actually sent out to Canadian publishers, and was turned down by all of them. However it's good enough everyone who's read it has commented it should be printed, and someone offered to foot half the bill for doing so. Still, I sit on it. I haven't been sensing a lot of support from dh or the medical profession with this. And I need their support.

So dh removed an obstacle the other day. He commented on having it printed before we head to the homeschool conference this year. It's a book on homeschooling using unit studies. That would require an investment of about $1000cdn. Like I said, we could get 50% of that covered by someone else.

So I am actually thinking this might be a good idea. But I am shaking in my boots about having to deal with people. I do not do well under pressure, and I cannot think of anything more stressful than talking to people about your ideas when a lot of them very well may not agree with you, and some may be actively hostile with you over them. But I've got to do this and get it out of my system. So I'm going to do it...right?

On another front I have been repairing hooked rugs for people. I've also been giving demonstrations on how to do rug hooking. I haven't earned much money from it. Usually the work is bartered or done in exchange for gift certificates. But this year I have earned a bit of money. I'd like to do more with this. Unfortunately there is not a market for hooked rugs where I live. Nor do I have the space in the home for a studio to hold classes. So I am feeling stymied there. I am thinking of giving it up for now.

But as God closes one door, he opens another. I have the opportunity to sell stitchwork at a show and sale this fall. It is the first time I've ever tried this. I am going to attempt a few items for sale and see what happens. I won't earn much money with this though. It simply doesn't translate into a lot of dollars. You don't get what the piece is worth from this endeavor. If I decide to go this route to earn extra money, I will probably try pattern design as an additional income earner. Wish me luck!

And my last concern? Do I have too many pots in the fire? WDYT? My original passion is certainly the art and craft stuff, but I've learned so much hs'ing my girls that I feel compelled to share it with others.

Jean

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I think it's okay to have a variety of goals. Too many pots in the fire? Never. Only if it feels overwhelming to you to have to concentrate on that many things at a time. Otherwise, I think you're doing just fine. Best of luck with your manuscript!

·
Registered
623 Posts
The best thing to do is focus on one thing at a time and it won't feel like it's burying you. Also, instead of worrying about dealing with people, think of the good that will be gained from people reading about your experiences! Share that knowledge!!! When all is said and done, I'm sure you'll be happy you did so!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Amy and Miranda. I had to chuckle Miranda. Nothing like the glass half full vs half empty, eh? Oh dear. I think it will just happen and what happens as a result, happens. I am leaving this is God's hands. I've been told to print out the manuscript and take myself to a printer for quotes. So that is what I'll be doing in the next couple of months. Thanks for the encouragement, both of you.

Jean

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Amy and Miranda. You're right Miranda. Better to look at the glass half full than half empty!

Jean

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird. According to my computer the first post didn't happen...or the second one. Real weird. Okay....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts