Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned to a co-worker that I was going to get a haircut this week, and she gave me a coupon for a $1 haircut at a beauty school that I didn't even know was there.

I went in today, and it was an experience. I think I had the slowest, most thorough, and meticulous shampoo and cut of my life. I think the student cut my hair an eighth of an inch at a time, and Very Carefully, with her instructor stopping by, or fetched by her to show her the next step. At Saturday's I would have been in and out in 15, maybe 20 minutes. I was there well over an hour. Fortunately, I was in no hurry, and I have to say, it's not only the cheapest haircut I ever got, but one of the best.

My friend was told tipping wasn't allowed since they were students, but I asked and was told it was up to me, so I left her a larger tip than I normally would. She took such incredible care to get it right. Anyway, I felt like a thief getting such a great haircut for a buck.

The music was a downside, but I eventually tuned that out, and had I been a chimp, I would have been in bliss at having my fur stroked and groomed for so long.

The normal cut is $9, and I'll definitely go back. I have short hair and have to have it cut pretty often, so the cost is a definite bonus. I'll just be sure to do it when I have an afternoon to kill.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Lucky you. The last haircut I got was at Cost Cutters and it was total butchery. Plus I got treated to way more personal information than I ever wanted to know about my stylist, like how much it hurts to have a tattoo in 'certain areas' of the body. Doubt I'll go back. I showed her what cut I wanted in one of the books they have for that purpose, and she and the supervisor discussed it, plus the supervisor kept checking back, so the only conclusion I can draw is neither of them knew what they were doing.

The frustrating part for me is I could cut my hair myself if I could only see and reach the back of my head.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
What a wonderful experience!!! AND a great price! :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Glad you got a good haircut. Students better take their time and go slow. :)

·
19,119 Posts
Talking about making your holidays bright!! Congrats!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think your haircut for $1.00 was great. I am glad that she did a good job for you. I bet she was scared to death of making a mistake.

My hair is short also and I too have to have it cut quite often. I have used the same beautician for about 30 years and would hate to have to break another one in.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it's a little risky, but it is at any of the walk in places. I've had some great cuts at Saturdays and some disastrous ones. Fortunately, I'm not very picky. My main requirement is that it requires no more attention than a quick shampoo and almost instant blow dry.

Actually, I was happiest when I lost my hair during chemo. I was more annoyed at getting it back than losing it.

If I go here, at least it will add an element of adventure.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Sounds like a great experience.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
so the only conclusion I can draw is neither of them knew what they were doing.

The frustrating part for me is I could cut my hair myself if I could only see and reach the back of my head.
I wish I would have had a supervisor WATCHING when I got BUTCHERED at Fantastic Sam's.........I usually say "oh it will grow out"..............not this time.......didn't leave the house.

Yeah........me too. And working from a mirror is NOT EASY..........BTDT!!!

it's not only the cheapest haircut I ever got, but one of the best.

My friend was told tipping wasn't allowed since they were students, but I asked and was told it was up to me
Oh.........how this brought back MEMORIES (attended school YEARS AGO!!).........you must have gotten a beginner.....but that is a good thing, they check them often.

OMG.........if it hadn't been for my TIPS I would have starved to death!!! (only because I spent my money on clothes!! :laugh:) I often counted on a tip in the morning..........so I could eat lunch at noon!!! And afternoon tips went for dinner and beer!!! :laugh:

THOSE WERE THE DAYS......................

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
That's a steal of a deal! I wish I got a haircut for $1!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That was a great deal, but more a dollar, with the tip.

Here, the student used to do a cut for $5, with the supervisor fixing it up at the end. No tipping. A regular haircut at most places was $25; that was 15 years ago.

Since then, I always cut my own, sitting on a piece of wood on the sink, with a long mirror propped on the wall in front, the bathroom cabinet mirror behind, and a hand mirror and hair scissors and comb. I like my own haircuts better than any I've ever had from a hairdresser, even from a better salon. It was hard to reach the back hair the last time, so I have to do more physio first, next time I cut my hair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts