Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Mother's Day is traditionally a day where the family waits on the mom, hand and foot. A day where the Dad takes the kids and the Mom gets some alone time.

I like to do it...differently.

I certainly wouldn't object to someone making me some breakfast, but I definitely don't want to spend the day alone.

I love being a Mom. I love it more than I ever imagined. So, on Mother's Day, I enjoy doing just that...being a Mom. I like to go to the park with the kids, take a hike with the kids, play games with the kids. I'm thinking that I might take the kids to the movies this year.

Does anyone else do something non-traditional on Mother's Day?

Reactions: Rebookie

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I don't think thats 'non traditional' at all Amy. You are the one who's able to drive...its not like they can take you anywhere. The way I see it, Mother's Day should be spent however Mom wants it to be and with whomever. If that means your family then so be it. :)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Mother's day in our family has always been a family day. We start the day out by going to church together. Next, everyone has lunch at Granny's house. After lunch we all take family photos and let the mom's open their gifts. Then, we go home. DH and I normally take a nap and the kids play video games or mess around on their computers.

We do the same for Father's Day, too.

I get more alone time than I care for everyday when DH is at work and the kids are at school. I surely don't want to be alone on Mom's day as well. I like being with my mom and my kids.

·
Registered
867 Posts
We spend the day in our jammies watching movies, playing video games and snacking :D Same for father's day, but on father's day there are better movies on tv. lol

As long as we are together it's a good day:)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We're going to stay in and just enjoy our new babies (if they don't come out on their own, I'll be induced right before Mother's Day). If I'm up for it, I'll cook.

DH is getting me a clothesrack so I can dry clothes outside. His coworkers think he's crazy for getting me a household item for Mother's Day rather than expensive flowers, spendy restraunt meal and jewelry. But I just want the clothes rack :)

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
My family all spends the day together on Mother's day. Usually I get a present in the morning, then they take me out to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's or Olive Garden.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw, this thread is warming my heart. I'm glad to hear that there are others out there, like me! :hugz:

·
19,119 Posts
Our Mother's Day Sundays are the same as all of our Sunday s- which is wonderful - DH makes breakfast, we read the Sunday newspapers and relax throghout the day. We call DH's mom and DD will call if she remembers!! ;)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Diva and the Old Man will make me pancakes in the flavor of my choosing. Which is usually chocolate chip, but I am thinking blueberry this time

I snuggle in my bed and read a book to Diva, although I may have her read me one this year as she will be days away from her 10th birthday and her reading has gotten so much better.

I spend the whole day with Diva... if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't BE a Mom in the first place.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Ahh I envy all your relaxing days with your families. For me, it means figuring out how to spend time with my MIL and now my mom too since she just moved back to MA.

It's never anything *I* want to do, and I don't see that changing for a very long time.

And this year Mother's Day is on my birthday :(

·
27,948 Posts
Michelle, I hope you do something special just for you like spending a little time with the Moms but the bulk is yours yours all yours. I hope you make it so, you are important too!

Not much goes on for Mothers Day here anymore since the kids are on their own. That's OK, I know they love me.:)

I'll never forget one Mothers Day...I was walking the kids around the block as they drove their bikes slowly slowly slowly lol and some strranger leans out the car window and yells "Happy Mothers Day!" and the other cars started honking their horns too. I waved & smiled, still warms my heart to think back on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts