Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just feel the need to vent about this - and it is totally about me, I screwed up. Today is DH's payday and my grocery shopping day. I generally alternate taking all the kids or leaving all the kids with my MIL. She had said last weekend that she would like the kids this week and to call her this morning. So, I called and she said that they had a luncheon but would love to have the kids after.

I like to go in the am when everyone is fresh, but I rearranged our day for an afternoon trip. Then she calls and says that she will pick them up since she has to go to the library (near our house), which screws up my plans because I justify Aldi's because I can drop the kids at her house and it is just a few more miles down the road. Otherwise it is about 20 miles each way.

She finally shows up about 2pm, in the car that can only take two. She takes the two oldest and leaves me with the 2yr old and baby. I should have given up on shopping right then, but my weekend is so full already. I decide to hold off on Aldi's until later and I would just go to SuperTarget to pick up what we have to have for the weekend and the few items I can't get at Aldis.

Even though I bought less than half my list, I still spent $58, about what I spend at Aldis' for the two week period!! I feel like I got ripped off. Plus, my 2 yr old managed to get into the bread somewhere between the freezer section and the checkout lane (about a minute and a half) - so I paid about $1.00 for bread crumbs.

It felt like my day was totally wasted. I've learned several things: 1-stick with my plan. I could have gone shopping in the am with everyone and then when MIL picked up the big kids I could have just stayed home and used the time otherwise. 2 - it is totally worth the 30 mile round-trip to Aldis, I might spend $5 in gas - but can save way more than that. 3 - with the younger kids I need my 7yr old with me - it is much nicer to have her push a cart with the little ones and I have a cart with the food.

Now I know!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hun, all I can say is Bless your heart ! I hate days like that. I was a little disappointed with my MIL today as well, so I know the feeling! Tomorrow is DD's birthday party/sleep over, so I asked her to come over and play with DS (18months old) and occupy him so I could give the house a good cleaning. I'm not sure why but MIL left before lunchtime, so I got done about what I normally do on a day to day basis. Now I have a very crowded schedule tomorrow before the kids get here. *sigh* I know I should be happy my MIL was willing to help at all, and quit complaining, but still!

Sorry for taking over your thread! :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh man. I'm sorry. :(

At least you won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Awful day! I get so discumbobulated when my day goes like that. I am not very flexible so shifting around the shopping time would have done me in.

But you are correct about Aldis saving so much money and worth the gas.

Congrats on your debt pay off! You are really doing well. I love tax time when everyone pays off huge chunks of debt.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Rough day. Atleast its over and a lesson is learned. Hope your weekend goes better.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I totally feel your pain!! When we were in the states I would alternate grocery shopping weeks with a friend and we would watch each other's children (we both have toddlers). Shopping was so easy without the kids. I could always find better deals and all that. Here I have to shop with Dh and both kids and all three of them contribute to adding extra things to the cart. Plus, it's just such a hassle, I usually end up forgetting something, paying too much for something and buying things I don't really need. Yuck!!

Hugs from me to you!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
my 2 yr old managed to get into the bread somewhere between the freezer section and the checkout lane (about a minute and a half) - so I paid about $1.00 for bread crumbs.
LOL..been there done that! Look at the bright side you don't have to wait til the bread gets stale to make bread crumbs!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over it. Just use this experience as a lesson learned. You have the right idea.....just stick to your original game plan.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I hope the rest of your weekend went well. I love shopping at Aldis we save so much money, it's completely worth it to me to bring my 25 cents and my own bags. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry your day way so tough. My kids are grown now, but I remember when they were little. I still like to shop early in the day, less crowds and I'm able to stick with my shopping plan better than late in the day when I'm tired.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts