Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I decided how important it is to know what we are spending, I had no problem frequently stopping for coffee, (not the cheap stuff either!,) grab a bagel, whatever I had an urge for. Well now that I have started to track our spending, my bagel today didn't taste as good as it used to. It wasn't as delicious as the debt payoff could have been.

I am kind of new here, but curious, does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Now I don't buy drinks if I go out to eat because I can't stand the cost. I also am way more critical of the food because I think about how much better/cheaper I can make it. We have cut our dining out spending way down.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My diet mountain dew doesn't taste as good. I used to drink alot of it, now I have cut back to about two cans a day. That debt payoff looks better to me.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yes, with a lot of things in my case. Soda, candy, pastries, burgers, all are not as enjoyable. On the other hand, I've developed a great penchant for fresh foods (not necessarily a $ saver) and have FINALLY learned to actively enjoy drinking water!

·
4,028 Posts
We too have cut way back on our eating out and coffee stops. We keep a nice selection of coffees at home and I am more than happy to make my own these days. Starbucks has become the occasional luxury. I am also spoiled by our pizza nights and my bread. I did buy a loaf of bread this week as we were away for the weekend and i was just too exhausted to make it when we got home Sunday. Eww, it is just nasty to me now. But I do love that our balance in the household account is higher than it has been and we have been able to maintain it for longer than when the next mortgage is due.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Soda started to taste too sweet. Fast food too greasy. And I could feel the water from my filter invigorating me.

...but I'm sure it's all a mental thing.

:hearts:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh yes. I had several unfrugal moments this past week. I was traveling this past week and got stuck at JFK airport, so spent $ on meals there. Then I splurged $13 for lunch today ( including tip) and afterwards all I could think of was I could have purchased quite a few groceries or put some gas in my car for what I spent. I am kicking myself.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I was buying at least one fountain drink a day and then I decided that was just foolish. I got some Pepsi on sale and only drink a can a day. I find I enjoy it more because of the guilt I had everytime I bought the fountain drinks. If I get an occasional one with my blow money, I find it to be more of a luxury.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i factor in a little guilty pleasure to my budget so my head doesnt explode but i find my guilty pleasures are getting cheaper and cheaper.....what was once a huge value meal or something has become 2 items off the dollar menu, what was once a starbucks grande mocha latte is not a regular coffee at dunkin donuts on the way to my part time job......

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i know that since working on being frugal, the food when eating out doesn't taste quite as good. things like eating out, the coffee from the fancy place, do still have their place in being frugal. if you think of them as treats or rewards, they can taste yummy again since they aren't peppered with guilt. treats and rewards can help out in your frugal ventures in the long run too, since they keep you from feeling deprived.

i have been bad this week and have had some fast food lunches, but i still have tried to keep them as inexpensive as possible. had too many errands to run with a baby in tow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts