Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had one, but I did tonight. We are debit/plastic users mostly and never have money with us. We kiss the ATM's butt if needed type thing...

Tonight my step-daughter asked dh for 50 cents to donate to spirit week at school. I heard him say something like, sorry I don't have any cash, which is when I ran out of the room. (bionic mom ears)

I pulled the Budweiser classic mug from the china cabinet filled with coins, and said.."shhh, in front of my dh and step-daughter, " please don't tell anyone about my secret stash." lol. My SD was laughing and thanking me and my dh looked at me funny....I said dear, this was all from the coins you left on the dresser, on the floor, in the couch, that I found around the house." I told you about it a year ago, but I guess you forgot!

Now stop laughing....change jars I know come in handy from time to time, I've just never had a 'wow' moment. :)

·
19,119 Posts
That is so cute ....and did you return your coin stash to the china cabinet?

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is so cute ....and did you return your coin stash to the china cabinet?
Yes I did, but maybe I should stash it in a different place now. dh might dig into it for something like a Dr.Pepper or Lotto tickets.

A Tampon box maybe? :laugh:

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Their astonishment was probably even more fun than having the .50. Now they KNOW you're Super Mom!

I've joined a challenge on another forum where we put a coin in a jar for each book we read and donate it to charity at the end of the year. It's for 2011, but we're all getting a head start. I'm using quarters and happily thinking "back up stash for laundry quarters." Tob e repaid, of course. I don't have much change around either, but it can definitely be handy.

Good job!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I rolled the coins in my "jar" and took them to the bank a couple months ago when we were moving, almost $700! It took me 3 trips to the bank to deposit it all. It paid for the uhauls on our 7 hour away move.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We have always collected change..and when the kids were small...that was our christmas fund.

It still is. We collect all year...and roll it at christmas time. Now we can use it for other things. This year...it's going for a generator. :)

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I've never had one, but I did tonight. We are debit/plastic users mostly and never have money with us. We kiss the ATM's butt if needed type thing...

Tonight my step-daughter asked dh for 50 cents to donate to spirit week at school. I heard him say something like, sorry I don't have any cash, which is when I ran out of the room. (bionic mom ears)

I pulled the Budweiser classic mug from the china cabinet filled with coins, and said.."shhh, in front of my dh and step-daughter, " please don't tell anyone about my secret stash." lol. My SD was laughing and thanking me and my dh looked at me funny....I said dear, this was all from the coins you left on the dresser, on the floor, in the couch, that I found around the house." I told you about it a year ago, but I guess you forgot!

Now stop laughing....change jars I know come in handy from time to time, I've just never had a 'wow' moment. :)
Congrats, that's really cool! (And I'm having some difficulty with that visual of y'all kissing the ATM's butt....REALLY?!? lol...that paints a very funny picture!)

·
2,688 Posts
I used to use the change jar for postage stamps. Now I am ahead on stamps, so have to think of something else to use the change for.

I did roll a good part of it the other day. I now have $ 30 rolled up and put in another drawer. I think I am just going to keep adding to it, and leave it there for a emergency. It's always good to have a stash :)

I could probably buy another booklet of those forever stamps at the post office though. That way when the postage goes up again, I will be set real good.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
We have a old glass water bottle that we fill with change. One year it funded a luxury 5 day vacation for DH and I. Mostly it gets filled, rolled and banked.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
We keep our coins in an old cocoa can...not in the kitchen. It's out of sight and out of mind. Though if anyone ever found it they'd wonder what it was doing there! I roll the coin and deposit it every year. We don't save much change. We spend it. But we still end up with $50-100 a year. I save my pennies for charity. We have a Least Coin collection at our church once a year.

I think it's great you were able to save your coins and come through for SD. Way to go Palooka! :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Very cute!

I too, used to use the ATM for everything and spent a lot of money. Now I carry cash and spend way less when I have to hand over paper.

With that said - I can't seem to get coins STILL! I just can't part with my dollar to pay for a cup of coffee I know I can make just as well.

The coins I have sit for a long time - waiting to fill up the large jar. I've even gone so far as to ask for donations.

"Do you want that quarter? I am taking a coin collection, do you wish to donate?" and the strangest thing - they do!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Way to go Palooka! I too would suggest finding a new hiding place though. :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.