Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~The price of food is higher in our new state than it was in NJ where I got free day old-bread from my BIL, produce from my garden and had an Aldi. I miss Aldi so much. :cry:
Anyway, now that we're settled in to our new place, I decided to make some calculations for meals based on the price of a meal. My criteria for doing this is to add up the cost of all the ingredients/condiments and, instead of splitting it by serving, to split it by how many meals my family of five usually gets out of it. I don't find per serving to be helpful because every person/child and every meal type will elicit a different consumption of servings.
Some things are things only I will eat so I make those for lunch. I'm prone to excusing the relatively high price of my treat items(seafood, specialty meats, special vegetables)since I eat the items over a 3 or 4 day stretch without any waste. But to get a comparable price per meal I multiply the serving cost by 5. The reason I am doing this is so I can look down my list and get a snapshot of what meals are the lowest cost if I made the meal for my entire family. When multiplied by the cost to feed the entire family my treat, I will probably opt for something else.
We have some leaks in the food budget and I think this project will help. So far I've calculated 6 meals this morning. The cheapest so far is slow cooked baked BBQ beans with bacon and biscuits meal at $1.92 to feed my family. With meat chili and cornbread is a close second at $1.99 for the meal. ;)
It's not so easy to compare to anyone else's meal or per serving budgets but it will help me stick to my food budget of $10 a day. I'm eventually trying to get a list together of $2 breakfast & lunches and $4 dinners. This will leave $2 a day in the budget for snacks and drinks.
I guess now that I'm not house shopping anymore and the homeschooling is all planned out and running smoothly I need something new to obsess about. :p ~

·
2,688 Posts
I'd be interested in your calculations if you keep typing :)
One thing that might be real interesting is if you put the cost per pound of your main ingredient/s for each meal in your post, and look back on this in about a year.

I am going to have to push the pencil myself. Vegtables are climbing wicked. Guess the garden is going to have to be bigger.

·
Registered
636 Posts
OK, makes sense but are you calculating/including all costs for the meal. For example, do you include the cost of 1/2 cup milk (or whatever the amount might be) for your cornbread? Asking because it's usually those "hidden" costs that get me.

I have a couple of good breakfast things I think might be rather inexpensive. (Found the recipes when I dropped them all in the floor so some good things came out of that). I'll post them in the recipe section a little later.

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
~I counted all the ingredients in the meal and any condiments we use at the table. Do you pour milk over your cornbread? We eat ours with a little butter and I counted that. ;) ~

·
Registered
636 Posts
No, I don't pour milk over my cornbread but that is certainly a southern way of eating it. The oldtimers (and you have to be seriously old for me to call you an oldtimer! :lol:) ate it in a glass with buttermilk poured over it.
My recipe calls for about 1/4 cup of milk - the reason I was asking.

Should have added - I eat mine with a lot of butter! I think I have a butter addiction. :(

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am interested in how you do. Sounds like a lot of work. Don't forget to add in the weekly price jumps in food. I am really getting tired of paying more for the same food even it's just a few pennies.

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
~That is a great point Rose, and all those few pennies add up! But I tend to buy 2-6 months worth of things at a time and keep a price per pound/cup list of all my most used ingredients. I shouldn't have to re-evaluate my most used recipes for a few months at least. Well, I hope anyway. The price increases over the last few years in NJ were hard enough to bear but out here it is kinda scaring me how often the prices rise. :ack: Any new way to stay on track is worth the effort to me. :thumb:~

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
May also be a matter of changing up recipes and finding out what the locals eat since what is available may be different than NJ. May help with lowering the budget. Hopefully you can start a garden to help you.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Keeping an eye on your post, going to see if it can help me any. Prices are going up so fast, they almost change daily. I haven't ran into any good sales to buy 6 months worth. Its frustrating. Costco and sams aren't really helping either.

Glad you got all settled in your new home and get back into a normal life.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
No, I don't pour milk over my cornbread but that is certainly a southern way of eating it. The oldtimers (and you have to be seriously old for me to call you an oldtimer! :lol:) ate it in a glass with buttermilk poured over it.
My recipe calls for about 1/4 cup of milk - the reason I was asking.

Should have added - I eat mine with a lot of butter! I think I have a butter addiction. :(
Cornbread in a glass or cup of milk...been a long time but that's the way I' ve always eaten it.

Glad you're settled in Constance and happy in your new home!

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Budget Bytes
Have you seen this blog? It may help with some of your calculations.
Thank you for this web site! Awesome recipes! If I watch the sales I think I can make some of them for less than she did. But what a great place to start. I think I'm going to make the glazed pork chops tomorrow night for dinner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts