Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waaa! I guess we're eating out tonight and having oven pot roast tomorrow.

Any suggestions for a good slow cooker these days? Mine was a Crock Pot brand and lasted us ~13 years.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
RIP Dear Faithful Crockpot. I prefer the Crockpot brand as well but I'm tempted by the features offered by the newer versions (and other brands?)

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I've always had good luck with Rival, which makes Crock-Pot, which is a brand name but people tend to use that name generically.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I had to replace mine a few years ago. I bought a Rival. I then bought another so I could use two at once. So far both are a ok.

·
8,714 Posts
~I had a 6qt Rival for almost 13 years. It was used when we got it. It died a couple months ago in an exterior plastic melting and legs buckling under incident. It was full of beans and luckily, there was no huge mess to clean up. I'm looking to replace as well. But I want a circular one so I can still use my baking insert. No luck at thrift stores yet but I keep looking. I just don't want to pay $35 for one that gets only 3/5 stars in online reviews and I sure don't want to pay $100+ for the 5 star ones. It would never pay for itself or save me enough time to be worth that price.~

·
4,028 Posts
One of my 6 quart CPs is going bye bye soon, too. It gets so hot underneath it has warped our laminate counter top. I have started putting my large glass microwave base under it so the heat will dissipate quickly. I have another CP, no lid the same style so I guess I'll go down to a 2 CP kitchen instead of 3. lol I really liked this one though as it was consistent in temp. The back up seems to cook at a lower temp.

Guess I'll do some testing to figure out the average temps. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have had the same crockpot for at least 10 yrs I think. It is a Rival. I bought an extra crock insert for it and recently someone gave me a duplicate one. :D

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I have a Rival and love it. I noticed they are on sale this week at Walmart (at least here) for $16.98 for the 5 quart. GREAT price.

Reactions: leighcat

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a very old Rival Crockpot, 3 qt size. Bought 5 qt one from Aldi a few years ago and it's been awfully good. Friends of mine swear by the Hamilton Beach 3 in 1, and I might buy that if I need another one soon.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Shop around - Walmart and Amazon have them on sale often. Also check out resale stores. I bought a brand new one in the box with instructions for $8.

Oh I had a Rival that lasted over 30 years!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
One of my 6 quart CPs is going bye bye soon, too. It gets so hot underneath it has warped our laminate counter top.
That's odd. Is it actually a Crock-Pot? Or another brand? The heating elements for Crock-Pots wrap around the sides of the base and there is no heating element on the bottom.

Stay safe. :)

·
4,028 Posts
It might be a different brand, I'm not home to look.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
147 Posts
I actually prefer my old crock pot that I picked up at the thrift store. It cooks at a little bit of a lower temperature than my newer ones, so things don't tend to dry out as fast.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I had a large oval one made by rival and loved it...until the hubs accidentally set it on fire two weeks ago. He bought me another exactly like it and I am thrilled! If you haven't gotten a replacement yet, I recommend a Rival, just like most everyone else has said.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a rival that I have had for 30+ years and still going strong...I had the pot warp so bought a new one just like it 10 years ago..Late DH took the old one out to the shop and got the warp out of it and it is still going strong..After late DH passed I did buy a smaller crockpot brand an I use it almost every day..I couldn't do with out my 4 crockpots..lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts